PDA

View Full Version : edges of project are jagged in spots

marthamaciuk
12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
hey people with lots of experience with this great machine the edges of my projects seem to be jagged in spots i am thinking it may be a graphics issue? any ideas

DickB
12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Post one of your projects please.

AskBud
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Post one of your projects please.If possible, attach the MPC and your project source (photo, pattern, etc).
AskBud

If you're not sure how to attach to Forum posts, you will find a lesson titled "Attachments - Revised" in my "Download" link below.
AskBud

marthamaciuk
12-25-2010, 01:14 PM
40997here are a couple of the latest bad spots along the edge. Any ideas? 40996

AskBud
12-25-2010, 01:49 PM
40997here are a couple of the latest bad spots along the edge. Any ideas? 40996Try your attachments again. I don't think they took!
AskBud

marthamaciuk
12-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Try your attachments again. I don't think they took!
AskBud
hey bud see if this one works

AskBud
12-25-2010, 07:07 PM
The pics of the carve came through OK this time. Now, attach your MPC.
AskBud

marthamaciuk
12-25-2010, 07:08 PM
ok nub here mpc?

Capt Bruce
12-25-2010, 07:40 PM
The photos suggest the edge was created using the raster mode rather than a vector drawn oval or circle. It's probably accurate to the drawing but not a smooth line in the artwork that was brought in. Just a thought until we can see your MPC file.

marthamaciuk
12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
what is a MPC file ??

AskBud
12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
what is a MPC file ??
An MPC file is the Design file (project) that you saved, and loaded to the memory card.
As DBFletcher so aptly added, "The memory Card version, is in machine code rather than in the MPC format that anyone with Designer may review. The machine code, on the memory card, is not retrievable to the user."
AskBud

dbfletcher
12-25-2010, 07:54 PM
You project in designer. Save teh file and upload your project. It is called an mpc, beucase that is the file extention lhr uses on the desinger files.

dbfletcher
12-25-2010, 07:56 PM
An MPC file is the Design file (project) that you saved, and loaded to the memory card.
AskBud

Not to add confusion.. but what is stored on the memory card is a "machine coded" version of the mpc... I just didnt want people to think that the same file they save on their hard drive is identical to what is on the memory card. I know Askbud wasnt saying it was, but wanted to clarify that point before we confuse some people.

Capt Bruce
12-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Sorry about that Marthamaciuk,

One falls into the habit of tossing in familiar names used on the Forum, when I forget I was a Newbie less than a year ago.
When you import a design into the CarveWright Designer software from a graphic file like a JPG, PNG or GIF file it is generally in raster format. Think millions of dots side by side forming the image you see.

Designer helps you translate that image into a design your machine will carve. If you save the design in Designer the native file format is called an MPC (yourdesign.mpc). By saving it you can edit it further after you have run a test carving.

AskBud was suggesting you attach your saved file in MPC format to this discussion so we can look at the edge in question and determine if the artwork brought in what you are seeing as a rough edge. Raster images again are not smooth lines but dots stepping down a square set of boxes like a set of steps as seen in your photos.

If that is the case you can perhaps get past the problem by adding a drawn circle/oval just at the outside edge of your design that will cut as a vector (smooth curve) and cut away that stepped edge.

Hope this helps somewhat.

AskBud
12-25-2010, 09:24 PM
hey bud see if this one works
I have included your original MPC, 2 pictures, and a revised MPC.
As you look at the origial MPC picture, You can see that the designed oval shows that it will leave the edge you carved. The word "The" is also a tad high.When you review your design, prior to loading it on the card, move it to different angles to see if it is what you wish.

I moved the word, and applied a 1/2" feather to the oval, in my revision. It appears to have cleaned up the edge.
AskBud

AskBud
12-26-2010, 09:07 AM
It took overnight to get the 4 attachments to take the transfer process. I suspect my ISP rather than LHR!
Return to this post to see my full entry:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17128-edges-of-project-are-jagged-in-spots&p=144661#post144661
AskBud

marthamaciuk
12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
thanks bud

Router-Jim
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I would like to suggest adding a medium draft to both of your words. Highlight the word and then click the "tool" on the top bar and then the word "draft". I think it will give you a better carve with less chip out.

Jim