PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help about Cutting Motor Please

lostinthefrost
12-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I was in the middle of a 2 hour carving when the cutting motor stopped. I havent been having any issues and know there are 300 or so hours on it.

Is there a way to eliminate test some items without dismantling?

Here are what I think it may be, but please chime in:

1. Motor sensor board?
2. Motor brushes?
3. Motor itself?
4. cutting motor saftey switch on cover

CarverJerry
12-23-2010, 03:34 PM
The magic number of hours on a set of brushes for the cut motor is 250........may want to start there.
Also check the system sensors via the keypad and make sure the cover switchs are working.

CJ

lostinthefrost
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
CJ I know how to get to the sensors but do you know which one I am looking for?

CarverJerry
12-23-2010, 03:41 PM
not exactly but I'd think it will say cover switch, I know I had to check the sensor for the rollers and it was labled just that.

CJ

CarverJerry
12-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Joshua, I just checked my machine and it does say cover switch....open or closed and it will change when you do it.

CJ

lostinthefrost
12-23-2010, 03:47 PM
ok cool , that will be my first plan of attack. Then I have another older cutting motor I will try if that doesnt work.

lostinthefrost
12-23-2010, 04:42 PM
It was the motor brushes. they were pretty worn down and one of the springs was broke. Luckily I have an older motor laying around in my old skeleton machine I steal parts off of in these scenarios. The brushes on it werent great, but maybe it will get me through my project. CW is not back open until monday and I dont think local radioshak carry these type of brushes.

CarverJerry
12-23-2010, 08:46 PM
suggestion, when you order a new set get a few other things to make up for the shipping, I ordered 2 sets of brushes and a set of belts at the same time, just checked my machine today when I was checking sensors for you and I've got like 238 hours on these brushes. Getting close to that 250 mark.

CJ

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I was looking for someone to post that the brushes were too short...... 300 hours was the key..... Cut Motor Brushes should be replaced at about 250 hours. Better before it stalls or fails to start and snaps a $40.00 bit.....

At 500 hours be looking to replace the Y gear box bearings....

This has been a public service announcement from the Pocono Digital Woodshop.... You may resume normal carving at this time.....

GOOD JOB finding the problem and fixing it.

AL

CarverJerry
12-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey Al, do you know the bearing number for the Y gearbox off the top of your head?

CJ

Ropdoc
01-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Hello All,

Well I guess this is the answer to my problem. I was in the middle of a carve last night and the system shut down. It told me to check the cut motor. I shut the system down and restarted. But the cut motor would not start up. So looks like I need to replace the brushes?

May I humbly ask how to buy them and how much?

Thank you for you advice and help.
Dave

lostinthefrost
01-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Dave,

Here is the easiest solution without having to tear apart too many things upfront. This will help narrow down the issue. On the cutting motor, you will see a quarter size cap with a flat head screw top (it takes a quarter to get open or a very large flathead with a slow process). Unscrew it and you will see a gold flat connector. Pull that up and it will be attached to a small spring and then your carbon brush. If that carbon brush looks worn down or isnt roughly .25" think (please chime in guys if my measurement is off) then it's probably shot. There are 2 of them total, one on the opposite side that you will have to remove the motor to get to. I just ordered them. I would recommend getting 2 sets of them to keep on hand. I think they were $10-12 most, also get a cutting sensor. It's that tiny green sensor that is located right where the tighten screw is on your motor. It was only a few bucks. Also order anything else to keep on hand if you need to stock it. That helps that crazy $12 shipping fee.

*** AL has a phenominal pic (3rd) one. The bottom ones look decent. The top ones are shot.

Ropdoc
04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
I finally bought the brushes. What is the easiest way to replace them. Do I need to remove the entire top cover to get to the cut motor?

Deolman
04-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Go here:

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm

and get the PDF on replacing the cut motor. Once the motor is out, the brushes are easily accessable.

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
I recommend removing the motor at this time and opening it up and blowing the sawdust out of it.... Remember there is a screw inside the muffler hole.... But you can replace them on the machine. The bottom one is the hardest....

Good Luck,

AL

CarverJerry
04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I replaced my brushes in about 15 mins with out taking the motor off the machine. It is easy, the hardest thing is getting the new brush back into the hole and aligned up so the cap would go back on.

CJ

Ropdoc
04-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Awesomeness, Thank you for the help and advice.