PDA

View Full Version : Clock gears

starman2
12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Im on a quest to make some clock gears on my CW. Ive got plans for what Im
attempting to build, and Ive used the AI2MPC software to convert the gear dxf files to ai format then to the mpc format that the cw needs. Works great by the way. Now Im stuck and I hope you
can point me in the right direction. When i open the mpc file in designer, it
opens just fine, and im assuming (probably in error) that this needs to be made
into a pattern using the make pattern tool in order to carve it. Problem is that when i click on the
tool it says the group contains non pattern objects. Im missing something
somewhere but ive made myself crazy trying to track down how i should be doing
this. hope someone can help out. thanks in advance.

bjbethke
12-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Im on a quest to make some clock gears on my CW. Ive got plans for what Im
attempting to build, and Ive used the AI2MPC software to convert the gear dxf files to ai format then to the mpc format that the cw needs. Works great by the way. Now Im stuck and I hope you
can point me in the right direction. When i open the mpc file in designer, it
opens just fine, and im assuming (probably in error) that this needs to be made
into a pattern using the make pattern tool in order to carve it. Problem is that when i click on the
tool it says the group contains non pattern objects. Im missing something
somewhere but ive made myself crazy trying to track down how i should be doing
this. hope someone can help out. thanks in advance.

You can not use the "Make Pattern Tool" with vector images; it only works with Raster images. You should be able to cut the gears with the ai2mpc file or the DXF file if you have the DXF program.

AskBud
12-23-2010, 06:44 AM
You can not use the "Make Pattern Tool" with vector images; it only works with Raster images. You should be able to cut the gears with the ai2mpc file or the DXF file if you have the DXF program.
It would be nice to see your MPC, as there may be some salvation!
If, your vectors create "Closed" figures, you may apply Carved regions. They may be converted into patterns, or apply Cut-paths.

In my "Download" link, below, you will find an old lesson on "Closed Figures, and another on "Cut-path Problems". The latter shows how we/you may use the "Toggle Non-Endpoints" option to assist with forming your closed figures.
AskBud

starman2
12-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks Bud...... Aligning the end points as shown in your video did the trick. I appreciate the help.

Digitalwoodshop
12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Sawmill Creek had a posting a few years ago with clock gears either on the Laser or CNC forum.

AL