PDA

View Full Version : rock chuck keeps falling off

Cabinetdesigner
12-21-2010, 11:00 PM
my carve quality decline greatly and had varying depths. So I thought maybe it was the z encoder. I decided to level the head and work on the head pressure. then I ran a project it looked perfect so I glued up more wood and ran the final project half way through the carve the rock chuck came off. I stopped the machine took the flex shaft loose and theaded the chuck back on. restarted the machine and the chuck came off again. so I put it back on. then I came in the house and reviewed the rock chuck video and saw that the chuck was being put on as 2 pieces first the chuck then the adapter. Mine fell off and I screwed it back on as one piece. Is this why it is falling off. Will putting it on seperatly make difference? Should I put a little locktight on it? Thanks for any thoughts, I plan on taking the chuck completly off tommarrow and reinstalling it . I am just curios if any one has ever had their rock chuck fall off? This is the first problem I have ever had with it. Just wondering if the carve tight would be a better option? thanks Joe

hess
12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Im running 3 never had one come off but maybe you might want to use some BLUE lock tight on the treads bet it don't do it again..FYI dont use the RED stuff or you may not get it off

bjbethke
12-22-2010, 01:54 AM
my carve quality decline greatly and had varying depths. So I thought maybe it was the z encoder. I decided to level the head and work on the head pressure. then I ran a project it looked perfect so I glued up more wood and ran the final project half way through the carve the rock chuck came off. I stopped the machine took the flex shaft loose and theaded the chuck back on. restarted the machine and the chuck came off again. so I put it back on. then I came in the house and reviewed the rock chuck video and saw that the chuck was being put on as 2 pieces first the chuck then the adapter. Mine fell off and I screwed it back on as one piece. Is this why it is falling off. Will putting it on seperatly make difference? Should I put a little locktight on it? Thanks for any thoughts, I plan on taking the chuck completly off tommarrow and reinstalling it . I am just curios if any one has ever had their rock chuck fall off? This is the first problem I have ever had with it. Just wondering if the carve tight would be a better option? thanks Joe
I think the rock chuck is a two part unit, here is an image of mine. Mine is 1/2 inch.

Cabinetdesigner
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
well I removed the rock chuck and reinstalled it. I am running my carve again hopefully it stays on this time. I went ahead and cleaned all the threads. The only thing I noticed is that the bits fit a little snugger than before I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. thanks Joe.

Cabinetdesigner
12-23-2010, 09:06 PM
well the best carve I have ever got on my machine. All I can figure is I did have the rock chuck installed properly from the beginning. I would upload a picture but for some reason it wont let me. thanks and Merry Christmas. Joe