PDA

View Full Version : Handle fell off

carlbeck
12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
While cranking the head down the handle came off. The pin simple fell out. I pushed the pin back in (It felt secure) and while carving the pin vibrated loose and the handle fell off. I noticed that the hole in the metal handle is elongated (See picture). When I crank it,40895 the pin starts to fall out. My CW is only 6 months old. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you fix it? I don't want to send the machine back to the factory for this simple problem. Will CW send me a replacement handle? The holes in the non-metallic shaft are also elongated. Should that be replaced? Is there another more permanent solution?

AskBud
12-20-2010, 11:24 AM
While cranking the head down the handle came off. The pin simple fell out. I pushed the pin back in (It felt secure) and while carving the pin vibrated loose and the handle fell off. I noticed that the hole in the metal handle is elongated (See picture). When I crank it,40895 the pin starts to fall out. My CW is only 6 months old. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you fix it? I don't want to send the machine back to the factory for this simple problem. Will CW send me a replacement handle? The holes in the non-metallic shaft are also elongated. Should that be replaced? Is there another more permanent solution?
I'll bet you can get a cotter pin at your hardware store, for a temporary fix.
AskBud

carlbeck
12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
You know what's funny Bud? I didn't think of a Cotter Pin. The problem there will be not to get my hand or fingers stuck or scraped by the end of the cotter pin but I will cut it close and do that. It's really funny that I didn't think of that. BUT: Bud: is the handle design an afterthought in your opinion and has others experience the same problem?

mtylerfl
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
You know what's funny Bud? I didn't think of a Cotter Pin. The problem there will be not to get my hand or fingers stuck or scraped by the end of the cotter pin but I will cut it close and do that. It's really funny that I didn't think of that. BUT: Bud: is the handle design an afterthought in your opinion and has others experience the same problem?

Howdy,

I've not heard of anyone having that problem before. (The handles on my two machines show no sign of that happening.)

TerryT
12-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Nope, I've never heard of that happening. You may have an unusual amount of vibration.

alan.galbraith
12-20-2010, 03:19 PM
This happened to me quite some time ago. I put a small nail thru it and bent it over like a cotter pin. Still working with that.

Hexe SA
12-20-2010, 03:34 PM

I had it happen to two machines, fixed both with cotter pins and filed them flush. Problem fixed.:rolleyes:
Eva

PCW
12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Happened to me on more than one machine.... Every machine I've owned also has had the handle develop a crack. LHR replaced parts for free under warranty so give them a call.

dbfletcher
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I was having this problem too... today I decided to take the pin with me on my trip to lowes and found that a #6 1 1/4 machine screw fit perfectly. I used a double nut on the end and tightened the outer nut agaisnt the inner so it could not work loose.