PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Measurement Failure...

Shredder
12-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a really strange measurement problem...Not quite finished with troubleshooting it but thought someone might keep me from reinventing the wheel...

I have a carrier loaded with a work piece that (once it is taped) looks no different than if it was a single solid board (two feet long one foot wide). When I run Measure Board it comes up with the correct size every time but once I selet the project to be run, when it measures the board it thinks it is the full width of the machine (17")...

Things I've checked so far...
The scan sensor (clean and levels look ok)...
The Project settings....(nothing I could find)
Any suggestions???

fwharris
12-19-2010, 10:03 PM
This has been posted a couple of times of late....

Take a look at the display and see if you are getting 2 numbers. If so I bet it is showing the measured length (1st #) and design length (2nd #).

What message does the machine say when you get this?

Shredder
12-20-2010, 08:39 AM
The numbers are "Length 16.987/ 23.500"

But if you are correct, it still makes no sense...
It does measure the piece correctly when I run "Measure Board".
I have re-checked the project design and I can't see any layout or measurement problems, but I'm pretty new at this so I could be wrong...

What now?

mtylerfl
12-20-2010, 09:21 AM
The numbers are "Length 16.987/ 23.500"

But if you are correct, it still makes no sense...
It does measure the piece correctly when I run "Measure Board".
I have re-checked the project design and I can't see any layout or measurement problems, but I'm pretty new at this so I could be wrong...

What now?

Let's see your MPC. I think the machine is doing what it's supposed to...but, your layout may be causing the "confusion". Post the MPC and we'll take a peek. (NOTE: remove any commercial non-copy-protected patterns before posting, if applicable)

pkunk
12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
How could it think the width of the machine is 17" when it is no where near that wide? Are you taking into consideration the extra 7" in length needed when choosing 'stay under rollers'?

Shredder
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Really appreciate the efforts to help...

MPC is attached....40890

mtylerfl
12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Really appreciate the efforts to help...

MPC is attached....40890

Hi Shredder,

Your MPC looks fine. I assume the board dimensions match your sled, so I think all you need to do is to respond "NO" to the "Stay Under Rollers" prompt at your machine. (although, your project really WILL stay under the rollers since the carve area is well within the board-length-ends. So, try saying "NO" and see if that resolves your problem. Let us know one way or the other.

Shredder
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
That was it!!! I just needed to say NO to the question of staying under the rollers... I must say this seems contrary to the advice given in the manual. As a result it is not clear to me how to determine in what case one should answer YES or NO... Have I missed reading something that would clarify the issue or is this a quirk that just needs to be known?? Is there a rule of thumb?? Thanks a lot..., it looks as if I may need to tweak my design but I'm "off binary zero" (a computer jock thing)....

Regards...

mtylerfl
12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
That was it!!! I just needed to say NO to the question of staying under the rollers... I must say this seems contrary to the advice given in the manual. As a result it is not clear to me how to determine in what case one should answer YES or NO... Have I missed reading something that would clarify the issue or is this a quirk that just needs to be known?? Is there a rule of thumb?? Thanks a lot..., it looks as if I may need to tweak my design but I'm "off binary zero" (a computer jock thing)....

Regards...

Hi Shredder,

Glad to hear you're back in business! You can say "NO" to the Stay Under Rollers prompt if you are making your project layouts in such a way as to include your board or sled length. As long as you have at least 3.5" at each end of the carve area, the project WILL stay under the rollers since you have accounted for that already in your project layout. For sled/jig users, this is the preferred method, that is, to make the layout reflect the actual size of the sled/jig.

Many folks also answer "NO" even if they are not using a sled/jig, AS LONG AS THEY ARE USING A BOARD THAT IS THE CORRECT LENGTH placed into the machine. Example: Project layout that "just fits" (i.e., no extra blank space at the ends of the board layout) on a virtual board 10" long...the real board placed into the machine must be at least 17" long. It doesn't make any difference whether you say "YES" or "NO" at the Stay Under Rollers prompt in this case. Either way, the board is long enough to stay under the rollers since the 10" area contains all the carving elements.

There are a couple Tips & Tricks documents that explain this in more detail, and may help you understand it a little better than my short answer here:

ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Dec07.pdf)

ISSUE 7 April 2008 – Carving Jigs – Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf)

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Finally 9 posts and the magic advice.... Read Tips and Tricks... Tips that will help reduce Pilot Errors.

So in summary... If your Physical Board is the same length as the designer board and then you tell the machine to stay under the rollers the machine computer will subtract the 7 inches from the board scaling your project smaller fitting it into the 7 inch less area...

Things to read and understand in the Tips and Tricks...

7 inch rule of wood

Scaling

Carrier Boards and Sleds

Bit Plate

Head won't crank down

For a start.

Welcome and Good Luck.

AL