PDA

View Full Version : New here with some questions

Lin
12-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Hello all, Hoping you don't mind a few questions. My hubby and I are very interested in the Carvewright (Compu-Carve) machine.
I am on dial-up and just downloaded the video from the Carvewright home page...Took around 10 hours for me to get it. At present we are not able to get high-speed internet where I'm located. Hopefully next spring it will be available to me. I would like to download the software trail version but afraid it will be to large for me to get...Can someone on the forum tell me the size of the download? And if there is another way I can get it? I've been lurking here for a couple weeks reading about the machine and hubby and I have decided to save our pennies to purchase at a later date. I want to make sure I'm capable of using the software before making a purchase. I have it in my head that by summer I will have sold enough of my scrolling projects to buy this machine. How hard is this machine to use...I have never used any type of CAD software but do use Paint Shop Pro 7 and Adobe Photo Shop to make patterns for scrolling. In watching the video...the software seems to be more along the lines of a graphics program rather than CAD software. I do understand X Y and Z axis...as I do deal with CNCs at my job. Hoping my experience in that field would help me thru using the Carvewright.
Last question...I live in Michigan and I do not keep my shop heated all the time. I only heat when I will be out there and that is mostly on the week-ends. Can this machine take the extreme cold when not in use? I think I've covered most of the immediate questions right now...Hoping you fellows can enlighten me somewhat on my concerns.
Thanks,
Lin

Old Salt
12-25-2006, 03:07 PM
you can email carve wright for a demo disk for your use they had some at one time. I'm sure this would be your best bet if you have slow down load. you should have no problems with software very user frendly. Cold will not hurt machine if you warm it up before use. Many good questions on the carvwright in R A Q form CK it out. :lol:

adriano
12-25-2006, 05:09 PM
I understand the dial-up concenrs, the software is about 60 MB, so I wouldn't try to download it from a dial-up connection. If you can't get the demo from CarveWright shoot me an e-mail, I can send you the demo on CD.

adriano
12-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I understand the dial-up concenrs, the software is about 60 MB, so I wouldn't try to download it from a dial-up connection. If you can't get the demo from CarveWright shoot me an e-mail, I can send you the demo on CD.

Kurtsara
12-25-2006, 06:03 PM
All I did was start downloading the demo when I went to bed and it was done by morning.

BobHill
12-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Lin,
Especially since you'll probably want to download and perhaps even upload files from and to CarveWright Forum, if for no other reason, you might wish to look into the BroadBand that's available to everyone in the US (with rare exception) and that's via satellite. Although I personally have DSL, I've used satellite broadband and find it very compatable to DSL and cable both in speed and price.
www.direc-way.us/Scripts/default.asp

Bob