PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a Cut Through using a Sled?

carlbeck
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I want to do some carvings with a cut-through but hate to waist 7 inches of prime wood at $7.00 per board foot. Is there a way of doing a cut-through with your work piece on a sled?

CarverJerry
12-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I do all the time using a sled. I made my sled with a changable floor using a piece of luan (subflooring) and when it gets all cut up I just change it out saving the original sled.

CJ

gwhiz
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
When you do a cutout and the material measured in the machine is thicker than the design thickness, the machine asks you whether to cut through using the project or material thickness.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2010, 05:08 PM
I think there is a Tips and Tricks explaining this.... It will come down to when the machine measures the board thickness it will stop and ask you.... Board or Project... Board = cut through sled... a NO NO.... Project = the thickness of you DESIGNER Project... So a Cut Path would work and leave tabs.

Careful with advice above with the luan as the tabs will be cut in the luan and not your wood if your not careful and the free floating wood will jam the bit and snap it... A "PROJECT" Cut Path would just skim the luan. Selecting Board would get you in trouble.

Router-Jim
12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
What I do is instead of using the cutout command I assign a bit and choose the depth equal to my project board thickness. I make sure to use double stick tape under the project board so pieces stay put.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2010, 06:43 PM
That is a great idea.... I am looking to take that one step further and making a carrier board with a replaceable Masonite deck that I drill holes through into the open areas of the carrier board. I will setup a vacuum system to the carrier board and Masonite sheet. It will hold the stock in place. For different designs I would use a new sheet of Masonite and drill holes based on the cut path of the art.

Even a carrier board to hold the 4 inch cut offs, 3 at a time making cut bears would be good...

This is a old carrier board with side rails and masking tape....

AL

carlbeck
12-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks, everyone. I tried it once and didn't understand what was going on and it was going to try to cut through the sled. I stoped there and until now did not know if there was a way. With your tips, I am going to do a cut-out carving today using my sled.
Thanks Again.