PDA

View Full Version : Head won't lower, clutch just clicks

Hank93
12-18-2010, 08:29 PM
My machine is only 2 days old and I can't get the head to come back down, the clutch is just clicking. What lube do I need to use on the guide post? Also I have read that I may have to screw my handle in, that some machines are sent with them not screwed in all the way and this can correct the problem. How do I do this? What do I need to remove to access this area to see what the problem is?

Sorry for all the questions but as you can tell I am a noob and a little behind the learning curve right now.

Thanks again....

henry1
12-18-2010, 08:59 PM
My machine is only 2 days old and I can't get the head to come back down, the clutch is just clicking. What lube do I need to use on the guide post? Also I have read that I may have to screw my handle in, that some machines are sent with them not screwed in all the way and this can correct the problem. How do I do this? What do I need to remove to access this area to see what the problem is?

Sorry for all the questions but as you can tell I am a noob and a little behind the learning curve right now.

Thanks again....
Check to see if your head is level one side to the other were the post are should be same distant on both side

henry1
12-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Thanks again....
go to this post
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16395-head-gets-high-on-one-side-only&highlight=level+head

Deolman
12-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Most of us as noob's cranked the head up too high. Look at page 55 for ser. nos. A or B, page 46 for Ser. nos. with a C, of the hardware manual. Look at vertical lockup.

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Hoping you found the answer in the User Manual.... It has a picture too..... A very common New User Pilot Error...

If you crank the head too high you need to prime the threads to get it to come back down.... the hole in the jacking shaft inside the right side of the machine is for turning the shaft....

After you finish reading the Operators Manual go to the CarveWright.com website and spend time reading the Tips and Tricks... It will have LOTS of Great Things to learn.... Things that prevent Pilot Errors....

Homework.... Look up the following at a minumum....

The 7 Inch Rule of WOOD....

Scaling or NOT.

Stay under rollers or NOT.

Place on Corner or NOT.

Carrier Boards and Sleds

Common Bit Plate Problems....

Proper Lubrication of the Flex Shaft.... A $75.00 + $15.00 Shipping mistake NOT KNOWING.... Not a Warranty Part... YOU KNOW or YOU PAY.... Your Choice.... This machine is not like a Table Saw... Plug it in and your "intrinsic knowledge" is all you need to operate it...

When I cranked my machine up TOO FAR the first time I had "already" read the topic in the Forum and "Knew" what to do to fix it... On a Sunday when you can't call LHR it is nice to know something like that....

We are hear to answer your questions.... I post allot... I am going for 6000 posts by next December..... so lots of EASY Questions..... Remember EVERY question you WILL ask has been asked a dozen ways in the past.... and answered.

To use the search you need to use a " " on each side of the topic. Like "Head Stuck up?" or "Head won't Lower?"

Welcome and GOOD Luck...

AL

earlyrider
12-19-2010, 12:47 PM
A search for "Head stuck up" or "Head won't lower" might bring up a list of lawyers or politicians!
Ron

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Politics

Poli - Many

Ticks - Blood Suckers

Hank93
12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks to all of you that have posted on this simple question. I am very familiar with forums and their search benefits and do use them often. I am an avid member of jeep forums and such that work just as this one does. I am also not completely new to Cravewright having owned one in the past for sometime. However the head on it never acted as this one has. I have lubed it, worked it, manually lowered it, and have not raised it up to the point that it should be stuck but it still hangs.

My question concerning this forum, and yes I am new to this particular one, is that it only gives me 2 pages of post to scroll through. I like to spend my evenings reading post and learning but with it only showing me 2 pages I don't have a lot to read. Is there a setting I am missing, I know there should be a considerable larger amount of material out here if I could only scroll through it somehow. I am not sure that my search is working properly either. I signed up, became a member but it would not allow me to even edit my profile. I have noticed tonight is allowing me to get to my profile now and possibly adjust some settings or preferences to see / search more post. I have read the owners manual from cover to cover, I have also read all the noobs threads and tips and tricks. It just appeared that I was / am still missing something somewhere to make this thing right. I haven't had a lot of time to fool with it in the last day or so but after Christmas I will get to the bottom of it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Hank93
12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Was finally able to adjust my thread settings and now can search and view all threads. This should help!

Thanks Folks.

barncarver
12-28-2010, 07:48 AM
:(:(I've had my Compucarve now for 2 years and the head assembly has never worked right. Just like Hank93's machine, mine is just clicking too. I've messed around with it for 2 years on and off and have not been able to come up with a solution. I am really upset that I paid almost $2000 for a machine I've only been able to use about 10 times! I also don't like the fact that you have to search for answers to your problems with the machine. I've had such a hard time finding answers to fix-it problems! Now I am unemployed and can't afford to have the thing fixed (even if I do it myself)! I hope the new "C" machine has the kinks worked out for any new users! I will never buy another Compucarve/Carvewright machine! Next time I will look at Shopbot!

alan.galbraith
12-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Is the Head stuck at the top? There is also a secret when you remove the screw from the handle. I don't remember exactly how it works but you can do a search. I had the same problem a while ago. Good Luck, and don't give up. I was in the same boat as you. About to give up. I stuck with it and everything is working fine. just do a lot of reading.

alan.galbraith
12-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Check this thread
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16240-Crank-Handle.....Clutch&highlight=clutch

mtylerfl
12-28-2010, 09:46 AM
:(:(I've had my Compucarve now for 2 years and the head assembly has never worked right. Just like Hank93's machine, mine is just clicking too. I've messed around with it for 2 years on and off and have not been able to come up with a solution. I am really upset that I paid almost $2000 for a machine I've only been able to use about 10 times! I also don't like the fact that you have to search for answers to your problems with the machine. I've had such a hard time finding answers to fix-it problems! Now I am unemployed and can't afford to have the thing fixed (even if I do it myself)! I hope the new "C" machine has the kinks worked out for any new users! I will never buy another Compucarve/Carvewright machine! Next time I will look at Shopbot!

Hello,

It's probably a simple fix and hopefully won't cost you anything except maybe a little time. I assume you have already read many of the posts concerning this type of issue and tried some of the suggestions made by other members. One of those suggestions may be your solution, however...

One thing you may have missed is to turn the machine on its side, remove the bottom panel and check to see if all four corner post bolts are tight. About 3 years ago, one of my machines had similar symptoms (clicking and not cranking down properly). It was a very easy fix...one of the bolts under one of the corner posts had worked its way loose. This caused an "uneven" head which was the source of the problem. I tightened the bolt and verified the head was level and it's been fine ever since.

By the way, another cause for the symptoms is a cold shop. I discovered some time ago that if my shop gets below about 55 degrees, one of my machines required that I push down on the head while cranking down in order to fully "squish" down on the board and avoid the clutch "clicking" before it reached the board surface. The solution is that I no longer allow the shop to get too cold. (I also don't use Lithium grease on the four posts...gets too "gummy" in cooler weather...I use spray Dry Lube instead.)

I hope this is helpful and you are able to start enjoying your machine! A ShopBot is another wonderful tool, and you may already know it will require a substantially greater investment than a CarveWright tool. You can certainly have a lot of fun and productivity with what you already own, but you can always add another tool later, if you wish, as budget permits.

TerryT
12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.... Make sure the machin is warm, above 50, 60 is better. The head won't crank if it's cold.

Kenm810
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Again --- Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

After receiving my repaired machine back from Texas, with signs of some rough shipping and handling,
I found the four corner posts had been knocked out of alignment and the top of the machine wouldn't crank up and down properly.
So I slightly loosened the bolts on top of all four rods --- cranked the head up and down a few times,
then while it was down near the bottom of it's travel on the rods I tightened bolts, with regular cleaning a little lube it's been fine ever since.

Digitalwoodshop
12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Everyone is right on track here....

For BarnCarver, I bet you have a few things causing your problems.....

A 2 year old machine and Dry Grease or Lubrication can be most of your problem.... The Clicking is the clutch not letting you apply more cranking pressure on the board making it too tight... The Problem you are having is something mechanical is preventing the smooth operation of the gears and head moving causing the clicking.

SO Step 1... Remove Bottom and check the 4 screws holding the smooth rods to the bottom of the machine.

Step 2... Check the cross connect gear that transfers the cranking from the keypad side to the other.... Only screws hold this set of 45 degree gears together. When they become LOOSE and you also have Dry Grease.... The Keypad side of the jacking screw turns and the 2 forty five degree gears slip and the jacking screw on the far side does not turn. This makes the head UN LEVEL and it will jam on the smooth rails....

So now back to the top of the machine.... Find something 1/8 of an inch and insert it into the far side jacking screw and follow the direction arrow on the cover and turn this while cranking the head down.... If the head was all the way up, this is normal that you need to prime the threads to crank the head down.... See picture in post #5.

If you get the head moving I would apply some Chain Lube with Molly to the 4 smooth shafts AND the 2 Jacking Screws. You are going to want to stop at some point and measure the head for level......

A few ways.... Lightly crank down on a block of wood and slide it left and right seeing if the head is level.....

Crank on a board and use the Z Data in Options and Sensor Data to touch the board with a bit on the left and right looking at the readings.

OR use AskBud's strips if paper test. Place paper on both sides and pull on the paper looking for a un level head.

So in Summery... Clean and lube the rails and jacking screws.... I use Chain Lube with Molly and my shop gets cold... It works for me but Dry Coat could work better.....

I think the machine just needs some Tender Loving Care..... cleaning and lubrication and loose screw check....

Let us Know...

AL

barncarver
12-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try each one and see what the results are.

Thanks again.

barncarver
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
:DI went through the checklist that everyone suggested and nothing seemed to work. I proceeded to remove the 4 smooth posts (one at a time) and cleaned out the tubes they fit into and then sprayed silicone in each one. When I put the whole machine back together, it worked. It is actually smoother cranking than it was when I bought it, 2 years ago. Thanks to all for making suggestions otherwise I would not have thought more into it and found the error.

Thanks again,
David

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Good Job !!!!!

AL

fwharris
12-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Great job! Most of the time it is just a cleaning issue!!!

mtylerfl
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
:DI went through the checklist that everyone suggested and nothing seemed to work. I proceeded to remove the 4 smooth posts (one at a time) and cleaned out the tubes they fit into and then sprayed silicone in each one. When I put the whole machine back together, it worked. It is actually smoother cranking than it was when I bought it, 2 years ago. Thanks to all for making suggestions otherwise I would not have thought more into it and found the error.

Thanks again,
David

Excellent work, David. Please try to make time to read some of the Tips & Tricks for further,... well, tips! Of course, let us know if you run into anything you're not sure of. Everyone here is very happy to help you.