PDA

View Full Version : Want to make a large bull (cut out) approx 3ft X 3ft or so

Hank93
12-18-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a bull pattern that is our military work emblem. We are having a new bldg built for our squadron and I would like to make this bull big enough for a wall in our entrance way. Is there a way to break the bull up into 3 or 4 carves with each one cut out and then join them together with maybe a biscuit jointer to make a large one? How do I do this in design? If there is anyone willing to tackle it for me I would be happy to upload the pattern.

I am not sure on the rules (copyright) of the pattern. I sent it in and had it made but gave them rights to sell it so I could have it made cheaper.

Thanks,

Hank

AskBud
12-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I have a bull pattern that is our military work emblem. We are having a new bldg built for our squadron and I would like to make this bull big enough for a wall in our entrance way. Is there a way to break the bull up into 3 or 4 carves with each one cut out and then join them together with maybe a biscuit jointer to make a large one? How do I do this in design? If there is anyone willing to tackle it for me I would be happy to upload the pattern.

I am not sure on the rules (copyright) of the pattern. I sent it in and had it made but gave them rights to sell it so I could have it made cheaper.

Thanks,

Hank
The Tip & trick on "My Big Sign" should give you the information you need.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jul09.pdf

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Hank,

Be sure to read my entry on your Flex Shaft problem in the other thread. You could get a FIRE.... Stop using the machine....

OK.. Bud is right, you CAN break the pattern up. I recommend making the sign from 2 inch or thicker SIGN FOAM and gluing the resulting pieces on a sheet of EXTERIOR Plywood for Stability and Durability. The last thing you want is to be known as the guy that made the sign that broke apart in the big wind storm and became FOD and closed the Runways for a DAY....

I bet some of the FAB Shops might have something that might work..... I recommend signing up to the Signs 101 Forum. and Sawmill Creek Forum. Both have GREAT Sign Fabrication Posts with pictures and tips.

Honestly this project is better made on a 4 foot wide Shop Bot or Similar large frame machines.... It's all about Durability..... I bet your base might even have one.... or someone on base have one at home.... You won't be saving the Command any money if it fails and becomes FOD....

Another option is to just do a plywood cutout.... and paint it.... Finding someone with a 24 inch Cutter Plotter makes a Pen path on paper OR just cuts out 1/2 of the sign in Vinyl. You stick both pieces to the plywood and with a Saber Saw cut it out. Then Prime and Paint it.....

Now for your 3D Pattern.... It is STILL a GREAT Investment to YOU and the Command.... You can make CLOCKS, Plaques, Application art to stick to the front of the Podium or the Co's OFFICE DOOR.... Retirement Boxes.... Lots of stuff.....

The 3/4 inch 3D will be LOST in a 3 foot tall sign.... The Paint Job will be the KEY.... It would be a waste in my opinion to do it in 3D.... With our 3/4 inch limitation.... Then again if you pull it off.... It could look VERY SHARP....... Think 20+ hours of carve time.....

Good Luck and WELCOME..... Be sure to read the Tips and Tricks for more GREAT INFO....

AL

USN Retired
FCC(SW) E7