PDA

View Full Version : check cut motor - an observation

jimsorrow
12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
I've been having the check cut motor error when doing a vector cut like many here. This happens on the first carve after the machine is first turned on. After I hit enter the vector cut completes normally.

Yesterday that didn't happen. My first carve was a fairly lengthy vector carve and the check cut motor error didn't come up. That was until I realized that the muffler/dust bag on the back of the carvewright had been left off following some cleaning of the machine. In just a short time after I put the muffler/dust bag back on the carving stopped and the check cut motor error appeared. I think this happened because the dust bag in my case a sock (original bag developed a hole) was clogged with dust and the back pressure generated by the motor caused the motor sensors to miss-read the rpms. This may be happening to others that have original dust bag, not a sock, that are clogged with dust.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen similar behavior.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2010, 11:48 PM
You could be on to something....

AL

crowder888
12-17-2010, 12:58 AM
I leave the dust bag off my machines. For a short while they carved without the error but it soon showed up again. Once in a great while I can get through a carve without the error but it is rare.

Pratyeka
12-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Blocking the exhaust of the blower will lower the load on the motor and it will rev slightly faster. It might be enough to trigger the error. One way to test would be to start a carve, remove the muffler/filter and cover the exhaust hole with your hand, see what happens.

mtylerfl
12-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Hello,

I don't use the muffler bag on either of my machines. The Check Cut Motor notification can occur intermittently from time to time, regardless. As we have all discovered, pressing the ENTER button allows the project to proceed. Personally, I have observed the error sometimes occurs at the start of, or shortly after the start of, a V-carving (like Centerline Text) and I've seen it once or twice during initial "spin-up" after switching from the carving bit to the cutting bit. (I think the notification is more likely to occur when using the "heavier/beefier" bits, though.)

I'll paraphrase/comment on how this was explained to me...

The "Check Cut Motor" message is really just a warning that indicates the cut motor speed sensor isn't reading the motor as running at all, or at least running at the commanded (programmed) speed. If the motor doesn't "spin-up" to the programmed speed at start-up within a preset period of time (apparently a short period of time), the error occurs. This is by design and is sort of a "safety net" for the user to verify/check that there isn't a real problem happening that could result in damage to the workpiece, bit, or machine.

There has been some discussion regarding extending the preset time before the detection of the motor "speed error", but for now it is set to err on the safe-side, intentionally. The downside is that it's a slight annoyance and could even be "scary" or a little confusing for a new user. The upside is that we have an early warning system to make sure the cut motor is really ok before proceeding. When a project is continued after this "warning", the machine will allow/cause the cut motor to run at a slightly higher speed to allow for bit loading.