PDA

View Full Version : New Owner :) With Problem :(

sundog2001
12-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Just received a CompuCarve from Sears and was setting it up to test out.

I cranked the head all the way up to get plenty of access to install a bit. When trying to lower the head again by cranking in the "down" direction, the head would not move. I only got the clicking of the clutch which indicated to me that the head may be in a bind.

Anyone have this problem and have any suggestions how to fix :?:

Thanks.

pkunk
12-22-2006, 09:04 AM
It's in the manual w/ a picture. There's a hole in the screw that you can insert a pin or allen wrench and tweak it down.

Aaron B
12-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Yep pkunks right, I did it myself the very first time I got the machine. Not to hard to get down.

Dan-Woodman
12-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Carvewright recomends not cranking the head all the way up . Stay about an inch from top and you shouldn't have any problem.

Ron Smith
12-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Carvewright recomends not cranking the head all the way up . Stay about an inch from top and you shouldn't have any problem.

Ditto ... actually have a permanent mark on mine now to hopefully avoid this again. Ain't it fun going through the learning curve!

Ron

sundog2001
12-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks to the advice. I cranked up the top right out of the box. Reading instructions helps, sometimes. :)

I have been using the machine a lot over the last few days with reasonable results. I have learned a lot about design layouts that work better. I am enjoying it.

I have come to the point I need to lubricant the shaft and have run up on a couple of issues that maybe someone can help me with.

1. What lubricant is recommended? Apparently I shutdown the machine too soon for further instructions that the manual indicated would be coming.

2. I have apply as much force as I feel I can trying to remove the shaft from the cutting head and it won't budge. I even tried to retract the ball bearing that locks the shaft in, but it doesn't move, so that may be my problem.

Any suggestions?

Art

Matthew
12-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Art,
For the lubricant, take a look at the post in the announcements forum. Here's a link: http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385

Looks like a moly lubricant is best.

As for removing the shaft from the cutting head, I haven't had any problems. Mine removes pretty easily with a small amount of force. When you pull up on the cable, the collar on the cutter head just above the ball bearing should spread apart. You might check that to see if there's some problem.