PDA

View Full Version : Stuck bit in quick change chuck

jkbogi
12-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I ran a few cuts and finished up with the 1/8" cutting bit. I put in another board to start over and the cutting bit won't release from the holder. The locking mechanism seems to be moving up and releasing the bit but I can not get it to pop out. Any suggestions?

DickB
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Spray liberally with WD40 and wait a few minutes, then try again. This worked for me. Sawdust has probably mucked up the works.

jkbogi
12-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I did and that did the trick. Thanks.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Welcome and I see you are near San Diego... Welcome. I spent 13 Years in Vista, CA.

I see you are having problems with the QC or Quick Connect. When you can, I recommend getting a Rock or Carve Tite Chuck. They both hold the bit better for smoother operation and a quieter machine.

Until then.... Using the Search and " " on each side of topic like "Stuck Bit" or "Stuck QC" or "ROCK Chuck" or "CarveTite" Ron Justice sells the Rock and LHR the CarveTite.

Most of the Good Info Posts will be more than a year old as many have switched to the ROCK Chuck or the new LHR Carve Tite.

The QC has 3 ball bearings and can jack hammer into the bit holder leaving a BB Mark and letting the bit Flop Around in the QC making vibration and poor quality cuts. Many like ME let a worn QC go TOO Long.... and that is the real problem.... If I had changed it earlier I would have less trouble....

Might be some good stuff about the QC in the Tips and Tricks....

Good Luck,

AL

As for the WD-40, another San Diego Product.... Use with caution as if it gets on wood you are trying to finish, it can leave Fish Eyes in the finish. Prevents the finish from soaking in.... Water Displacement Fourty....