PDA

View Full Version : Tapered carving tool for cutting 3d images

cadum1
12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
the tapered carving tool is not listed in the tool list to be chosed for a 3d application.
Will the computer ask for you the tapered tool as you are setting up? How do you
tell it to use this tool so it will carve what you are asking.
Also is it possible to enter a number less .1 in the max depth of cut box .1 is almost too
much for a 1/16" dia.end mill mine broke because of it. Its too much feed and speed for
such a small end mill. A depth of .05 would be much better. I do know my feeds and speeds being a retired Tool and Die maker (33 years) So if any one can tell me how tho get through these problems I would appreciate it.

Cadum1

lynnfrwd
12-16-2010, 02:51 PM
The tapered carving bit is the main bit and the default bit for carving raster (3d patterns). You do not select it. If you are picking the select bit tool, then you are trying to apply it to a vector (2d path).

You can select less than .1 on the maximum pass depth, but not less that .063 on the 1/16" cutting bit, so .05 is not available.

Please call 713-473-6572, so that we can explain.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
the tapered carving tool is not listed in the tool list to be chosed for a 3d application.
Will the computer ask for you the tapered tool as you are setting up? How do you
tell it to use this tool so it will carve what you are asking. If you make a Carve Region or pattern that is going to be Raster Carved then you must use the 1/16 in Carving Bit. The Tapered Bit. If you installed the 1/16 in End Mill Bit for this function, then it would soon snap off due to the quick feed rate and auto depth.

If you select Normal when you upload the project and look at the Raster Carving Speed, you will notice how quick it cuts... I normally always use BEST that has a slower cutting speed and a slower bottom clean up cut. That is why it takes longer in best mode and supper long in Optimum Mode.

The 1/16 inch End Mill would be called the 1/16 Cutting Bit in the menu.

Also is it possible to enter a number less .1 in the max depth of cut box .1 is almost too
much for a 1/16" dia.end mill mine broke because of it. Answered above, wrong bit installed. Its too much feed and speed for
such a small end mill. Answered above and yes it is too fast for a end mill or cutting bit. The 1/16 Carving Bit (Tapered) would not snap. A depth of .05 would be much better. Answered by LHR above for tip side of the Carving Bit.

I do know my feeds and speeds being a retired Tool and Die maker (33 years) So if any one can tell me how tho get through these problems I would appreciate it.

I WELCOME a Tool and Die Maker to the Forum.

On the LHR CarveWright Website is a section with old Tips and Tricks. That is a Good Read to get you up to speed on this very capable Hobby Machine.

I have done some Vector Cutting of Engraving and Fiber Plastic for my Shop. A trick learned on the Vector Feed Rate if you made a line or rectangle and assigned the 1/16 Cutting Bit is to use the Depth of Cut by selecting multi passes... I cut my 1/8 inch plastic sheeting on a carrier board and use double stick tape to hold the sheet and the loose tags. I do it in one pass... If you watched it, you would see 2 feed rates... Corners and Turns go in 1st gear.... Then when the line or path is straight then you will see a slight hesitation and it shifts into 2nd gear for feed rate.... I found that it was TOO Quick for my 1/16 Cutting Bit, one from a Rotary Engraver. It would push the plastic tags as it could not cut fast enough. The LHR End Mill or LHR 1/16 Cutting Bit has more flutes and would cut better.

So I am getting to the point of this..... You can set up a Vector in 1/16th or 1/8th in Designer and if you watched it cut, you would see 2 speeds.... BUT... If you did your design work and layout with the small bits and at the end changed Designer to the 1/4 inch Ball Nose Bit BUT installed the 1/16th or 1/8th bit and watched it cut.... The machine would stay in 1st Gear.... HENCE.... We do have a work around to control the FEED Rate for Vector Cutting only. For Raster you only have the option to upload the project as Normal, Best, or Optimum.... I have never used Normal, but I bet it goes like a Bat out of Heck....

Welcome !!!! Tips and Tricks.... It will help with other Pilot Errors like the 7 inch rule of wood, Scaling, Stay under rollers or NOT.... Sleds and Carrier Boards and more....

Cadum1

ANY problem you have with the machine has happened many many time before and has been posted here.

Watch out for the Vacuum Cleaner Hose making Static and KILLING your machine.... The Cheaper the Hose, the more plastic, the higher the voltage.... Better Hoses have more Rubber and MORE Carbon to dissipate the static.

Well off my Soap Box....

Good Luck,

AL