PDA

View Full Version : Cutting oval with Compucarve

Kurtsara
12-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Just to be clear, if I cut the attached file, will the Compucarve leave tabs to hold it together untill it is done?

pkunk
12-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes, It should.

Dan-Woodman
12-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I think when you upload to the memory card you probably get a warning saying project is too close to edge of board for the rollers to make contact. It may also ask if you want to manual jig or auto jig or ignore.
Auto jig leave tabs, manual jig should be on a backer board with double stick tape or board nailed to backer.
But I think you still need to lesve at least 1/2" boarder around for the board sencer to operate properly.

Kurtsara
12-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I think when you upload to the memory card you probably get a warning saying project is too close to edge of board for the rollers to make contact. It may also ask if you want to manual jig or auto jig or ignore.

Do I just ignore or what?

Dan-Woodman
12-21-2006, 07:15 PM
If you ignore it may alarm out for the board sencer or it will cut the oval all the way and you risk breaking your bit.
Autojig will automaticly downsize you project so as not to interfere with the board sencer roller.

Matty
12-21-2006, 09:03 PM
If you cut the oval the way you have the file set up you could have problems.
It looks like you just set the depth 0.750 (same thickness of the board).
I did this once and there were not any tabs, also broke the bit.
The correct way is to use the “Cut Path” that’s the icon with the little saw on it.
Now you get the tabs and no problems

have a look at the attache ov.mpc file

shaddy
12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Most of the time i get tabs, and one full edge is still connected, what's going on there?

Shaddy

Matthew
12-21-2006, 09:20 PM
I had that happen one time, tabs on 3 sides and the 4th side wasn't cut at all. This was with the 1.036 version of the software and the corresponding firmware. If you have that, do an update before doing any more work. That one version of the firmware caused some really goofy problems. I haven't had that cutting problem since I updated to the current version.

shaddy
12-21-2006, 09:47 PM
hey, I AM running 1.036, thanks for the heads up on the update.

Shaddy

cmorlier
12-22-2006, 09:05 AM
When you say that one side is still connect or is not cut at all, do you mean it didn't cut anything on the one side, or that it did not cut all the way through?

If the is happening on the edge nearest the keypad, and the cut is within 3/8" of the edge of the board, then this is expected behavior. The reason for this is the board tracking roller. If we cut all the way through the board in this area, the board tracking roller may not have a surface to roll against, which would cause quality problems.

Matthew
12-22-2006, 04:39 PM
For my issue, I got 3 sides cut completely through and one side didn't cut at all. I've got a picture of it if necessary. It was the right end that didn't cut for me. Since I used autojig with an oversized board, it should have cut okay. Later when I re-cut the piece it worked fine. I had updated to the 1.115 version by then though.

pkunk
12-26-2006, 06:25 PM
If you cut the oval the way you have the file set up you could have problems.
It looks like you just set the depth 0.750 (same thickness of the board).
I did this once and there were not any tabs, also broke the bit.
The correct way is to use the “Cut Path” that’s the icon with the little saw on it.
Now you get the tabs and no problems

have a look at the attache ov.mpc file
Matty, I tried your ov.mpc and added a carving. It only cut one pass around the outside. How to make it cut all the way leaving the tabs?

BKR
12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Forgive my learning curve, are the 'tabs' referring to the raised edge (border) in the above picture?

Matthew
12-28-2006, 08:40 AM
No, the tabs being referred to are small connectors being left when you completely cut out a section of board. For the oval project above, tabs would be between the oval section displayed and the rest of the rectangular board. These tabs are intended to keep the cutout from flying around in the machine. They keep it connected to the rest of the board. When you're done carving, then you can take small saw or knife and cut through these tabs to release the cutout from the rest of the board.

BKR
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Just so I understand...

Designing this layout in the CarveWright software one would cut the outside path of the oval (using the Cut Path tool), intending to cut all the way through the board making the oval shape. In doing this the computer automatically keeps wooden tabs on the outer cut of the oval (no pun intended) so the work piece won't fly around.

This is good because I'd imagine trying to fix the workpiece to rotating rollers would be a challenge. :)

Is this correct?

pkunk
12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
yes :D

BKR
12-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Outstanding, thanks!