PDA

View Full Version : US-Georgia

Creekwood
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Not sure which forum this should go. But if any one lives in the NE Ga area and would like to get together compare notes I would be interested.

Capt Bruce
12-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Where are you located Creekwood. I'm near Stone Mountain, east of Atlanta.

Creekwood
12-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes we live in the Helen area, Sautee. We own www.creekwoodResort.com (http://www.creekwoodResort.com)

chebytrk
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes we live in the Helen area, Sautee. We own www.creekwoodResort.com (http://www.creekwoodResort.com)

Helen is a beautiful area. Was there over 25 years ago and still remember it well. It was the closest we could get to Germany after returning from several tours while stationed there. Helen area brought back lots of fond memories. Maybe now that we're "empty nesters" we can make the trip there once more and go to Creekwood Resort. Shhhhhhhh don't want our kids to hear cause they'll want to tag along! ha ha They were all born in Germany so they'll want to go too! : )

Creekwood
12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Jerry love to have you come by!

gwhiz
12-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Creekwood Resort looks great! I'm south of Atlanta (Peachtree City) and get to the north Georgia mountains a few times a year on the Harley (When the weather's a bit warmer than it is now!)

Capt Bruce
12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Well Robert, welcome to the informal N.E. Georgia chapter of the Forum that seems to be coming together today. I know we have at least one more CW carver in N. Atlanta who is learning along with the rest of us. Would be glad to get together some time and we'll all learn some new tricks and tips. We've been up to enjoy Helen and have rented in that area with lovely mountain views so we'll have to put Creekwood on our destinations list. We may however wait until the weather looks a bit friendlier as some of the roads would be no fun this time of year. Welcome to the group.

Creekwood
12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Carvewright should consider an additional forum section where members can start clubs or meetings in the area they live at.
I know you can go to the member list and see who is lives nearby, but they may not be interested.
Yea Capt Bruce, you are so right about the roads, but the worst is over for now. Now I have to deal with broken water pipes.
Fun

Capt Bruce
12-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I know what you mean about our pre-Christmas freeze here in Georgia. Not what any of us expect in GA because this type of weather is normally reserved for Jan-Feb. Even the poor birds looked confused as they thought they had "flown South" and they still are freezing. Strange I was having the same thoughts last week. For this I left Ohio? Sorry about the frozen pipes. Just installed two freeze proof faucets outside the house, and that's something I thought I'd left behind up North.

Maybe if FEMA will leave me home for a while I'll host an informal Saturday at my place just East of Atlanta for CW/CC owners in this area to get together. Plan to bring together some of our carvings, photos and favorite techniques to share over coffee or some cider and we'll see what we've all learned. Let me know if anyone would be interested. Merry Christmas All!

Creekwood
12-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Capt. Bruce that would be great, maybe after the holidays.
Merry Christmas

Capt Bruce
12-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Sounds like a plan for dreary Jan or February. Anyone else interested? I'll even throw in lunch to make the drive worth it.

gwhiz
12-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Sure. Count me in!

Capt Bruce
12-19-2010, 02:10 PM
We'll keep you advised George. Thanks for your interest.

Ducky63
12-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry to read that your water pipes froze, I hope that you have them all fixed by now. I have problems with my sewer line in the spring when the frost goes out. The frist year it froze so since then I put 2-3 bagges of leaves over it. This keeps it from freezing in the spring. Just to let you know we have 5" of snow on ground & going to get more this week. The idea of getting people together for the machine sounds like a good idea. Sorry I cann't make it. I'll be in Iowa but I want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

LARRY YEAGER
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Just read your posting. I live in gainesville and am real interested in joining a group to learn more. I am retired air force. One time i put in a posting to form a group and got not answer so iam looking forward to your reply. Larry

Capt Bruce
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Snellville, Georgia 30039 suburb East of Atlanta

Capt Bruce
01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Hello Larry,

Welcome to the discussion and our informal CarveWright NE Georgia chapter. I was going to signal the group about the second week of January, that perhaps it was time to get together, but we all saw where that plan went on the 10th. In my case the Federal Executive Board in Atlanta shut us down and I ended up spending most of a week carving in the basement and staying off the roads. How about yourself?

It looks like you are fairly new to the Forum so tell us a bit about what you've done with your carver so far if you would and what you do in real life. Again, welcome aboard!

LARRY YEAGER
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I am new to the forum but have had my CW for about two years. Iam retired Air Force. Retired in 1982. I have made many carved boxes, used the probe on a few patterns. I have made many other items from projects to things that I produced myself. Many of the items I have made are for gold prospectors to display their gold. Would like to talk to you. You can contact me at 770-287-7870. Hope to hear from you soon.
Larry

Capt Bruce
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Hello again Larry,
We're glad you are interested in the idea of a local carvers' club. I'll give you a call later this evening. Projects for gold prospectors? That's a market I have not tapped Sir. You've got me curious as to how one displays gold (nuggets?)

Now that the weather is getting at least a bit more manageable it looks like perhaps a good time to get the NE GA circle together. What say you fellow Georgia CW/CC users? Maybe the weekend after the Superbowl, that would be Sat or Sunday February 12 or 13. What day would work well for you to get together at Noon and spend some time together in Snellville?

I'll host some coffee and sandwiches for lunch and we can all bring along a few examples or pictures of what we've enjoyed making or a project or two you have in progress. We'll swap some stories of what's gone right (and wrong) and what we have to do to keep these little robots working well. I am always looking to learn new techniques and will look forward to meeting some fellow carveaholics.

gwhiz
02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
The 12th won't work for me, but I could do the 13th....

Capt Bruce
02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for responding George,

Sunday the 13th may be best for several. I'll track this through the weekend and we'll see who has responded. I mistakenly invited Ducky63 because he had commented earlier in the string. Didn't notice he is in Iowa and said it would be a bit far to drive and their roads are icy but thanked us for the invitation. Hope we'll get to meet next weekend.

Underdog
02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Well I see this thread kinda faded... But I see we have users in Gainesville, Fayetteville, Stone Mountain, Helen, and now myself in Watkinsville. Any more?

I'll pipe up though, and say I've just bought a four year old CW that was shelved after it's first run crashed due to a bit not being fully inserted. Upgrade parts were bought but never installed. Full bit set purchased and never used. So I've essentially bought a never run CW that needs the HD belt set installed, and a new chuck purchased. I'm seriously considering a DC purchase. If not I'll build my own. I firmly believe that every woodworking machine must have some way of getting rid of waste or it causes problems. I'm gathering that with the CW it's essential or you'll create myriad problems.

I'd be happy to make contact with a user nearby. I've already spoken to Capt. Bruce but not made it up to his shop just yet.

wlkjr
02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Well I see this thread kinda faded... But I see we have users in Gainesville, Fayetteville, Stone Mountain, Helen, and now myself in Watkinsville. Any more?

I'll pipe up though, and say I've just bought a four year old CW that was shelved after it's first run crashed due to a bit not being fully inserted. Upgrade parts were bought but never installed. Full bit set purchased and never used. So I've essentially bought a never run CW that needs the HD belt set installed, and a new chuck purchased. I'm seriously considering a DC purchase. If not I'll build my own. I firmly believe that every woodworking machine must have some way of getting rid of waste or it causes problems. I'm gathering that with the CW it's essential or you'll create myriad problems.

I'd be happy to make contact with a user nearby. I've already spoken to Capt. Bruce but not made it up to his shop just yet.
I bought the Ringneck blues dust collector and have been happy with it.

Capt Bruce
02-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Underdog,

Welcome to the Forum and the NE Georgia group. Glad we got to talk. Make that two votes for Floyd's Ringneck Blues dust collectors. He's one of us as a CW user and has really perfected his design to compliment the machine. I have two now and would not run my machines with out them for the time and maintenance they save me. I think it's time we got back on track about getting our little society here together and sharing some fellowship, ideas and techniques. I'm hoping for a much quieter Spring than last year so maybe I'll extend the invitation again to gather at my home shop one Saturday if you're interested.

Also if you have time join me at the Woodworking Show March 22-24 at the Gwinnett Center where I'll be representing CarveWright in their booth. I'd be happy to see and talk with other users so come to the toy show.

Underdog
02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
If I'm not busy in the Craft Supplies booth, I'll be happy to stop by and talk shop, watch the demonstrations...

And yes, I'd be interested in a user group meeting!

myshop1044
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Hello capt Bruce, Perry Here, please PM me I have questions about the woodworking show.

Underdog
11-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Got a question about users nearby. If do a search for someone local on the following link I see a house icon. I'm wondering if that's another local owner of a CW, or is it me? http://www.carvewright.com/startu/

WoodenWizard
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Got a question about users nearby. If do a search for someone local on the following link I see a house icon. I'm wondering if that's another local owner of a CW, or is it me? http://www.carvewright.com/startu/

It represents the zip code you searched on, basically you. The StartU person has there own icon.

Dave

Underdog
11-28-2013, 08:37 AM
The reason I searched was because it'd be nice to know that there were some CW owners nearer than Atlanta.

fwharris
11-28-2013, 09:45 AM
The map should show startu members and user groups. Click on the icons and it should open the contact information for the member and group.

widget223
12-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone. I have owned a machine since 2007 or 2008 but just discovered this forum. I spend a lot more time in the shop than on the computer. I've had tons of problems with the machine but every once in a while it will turn out a decent carving to keep me interested. With my most recent problem I checked the hours on the cut motor and it was 54. I had no idea I ued it that much! I just do not have the time to spend to learn the programs or create the files. I'm glad there are so many patterns in the store now they are a big help. There just were not that many patterns back then. I mostly make quality furniture and use the machine to add some nice details. I did some hand carving and inlays prior to the machine so I wanted it for the carvings. Although what it does is nice it lacks the visual depth and definition of a hand carved piece. The speed it works and the ability to carve the HARD woods like oak and hickory make it nice. I just wish it was not so expensive to operate. I am tuneing it up again and hope to get some great ideas here. I live in the Newnan / Sharpsburg GA area.

Capt Bruce
12-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Hello Widget223,

Good to have you with us on the CW Forum,

You have been using your CW longer than most of us but not many carving hours from your notes. We are setting up a User Group around the North Georgia area. To date we've corresponded a lot but have not come together and that is primarily my shortcoming because I had to first transition from my final career (lots of travel for Federal Disaster Response/Recovery) to retirement. That's accomplished and I think we are ready for the next stage.

If you would like to be included I'm planning a working discussion/social meeting to get to know each other in early January 2015 at my home and workshop in Snellville, GA near Stone Mountain. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and phone and I'll include you my mailing on this planned next meeting as we agree on a good date for all hands.

I finished a large signage project recently down near you for the Newnan Lakes community done entirely on the CW. You are about 45 min from me. Again welcome to the Forum.

WoodenWizard
12-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Widget223,

Just down the road from you in Fayetteville. I am right at 240 - 250 hours on mine. I get sidetracked playing with the software. I too am looking forward to getting together with Bruce. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Dave

jmherbertson
12-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Capt Bruce,

I'm interested in the User Group also! I live in Roswell, GA. Please include me when you get it going. Thanks!

Mike (James Herbertson)

widget223
12-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Widget223,

Just down the road from you in Fayetteville. I am right at 240 - 250 hours on mine. I get sidetracked playing with the software. I too am looking forward to getting together with Bruce. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Dave

The software is my weak spot. I look forward to a meeting as well. I saw some carvings in a little shop in Senoia. Did you do them?

WoodenWizard
12-11-2014, 09:42 PM
The software is my weak spot. I look forward to a meeting as well. I saw some carvings in a little shop in Senoia. Did you do them?

Wasn't me.

rburke
12-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Capt Bruce

I am also interested in the user group. New to the carvewright family, and up in the Sautee area around Helen. Please include me if you start up.
thanks
Randy Burke

austcrow
06-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Hi all! My dad was about to sell his machine but I stole it from him (with permission). I would love to get together with some local CW users since I'm a newbie! I'm in Stockbridge, GA. Anyone interested?