PDA

View Full Version : Cut board to size

wgrigsby
12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi

I've never used "cut board to size" when running a project and was wondering what will it do if I clicked yes instead of no. I have searched help in the manuals and in the forum and never found anything. Can anyone tell me about it??

Thank you

Wayne

dbfletcher
12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
It will cut the board you loaded in the machine to the same dimensions as your project board in designer as the last operation. I dont really know of anyone who uses that option.

wgrigsby
12-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Tanks Doug

I knew it would be something simple and it makes sense. I've been cutting the ends off my boards after the run is done using my band saw. This would be easer, I'm going to start using it.

Wayne

dbfletcher
12-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I think you'll find your bandsaw is faster and using that option will increase your risk of snapping bits as the bit will leave the edges of the board.

Woodhacker
12-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I would stick with the bandsaw or a tablesaw. You run a risk of breaking bits cutting the board down to size in the machine. And, it is MUCH faster using the tablesaw or bandsaw.

cestout
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree with the others. Use your carving machine for what it is uniquely qualified to do, to carve and to cut around patterns. Use your band saw , but an investment in a radial arm saw - even used - would be a good investment. It can cross cut the ends like a sliding miter saw and can rip like a table saw. Build it into a bench with the top flush with the saw table. If you only have one big tool that is the most versatile.
Clint

rickyz
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
cestout is absolutely right. If you have another machine that will do it, don't use the cw for cutting boards to size. Love my radial arm saw from the 80's. only paid 75.00 for it, got the craftsman recall parts, and everything works on it. even the digital keypad. before that I would use my chop saw or table saw with a crosscut sled, depending on the width of the project.