PDA

View Full Version : Overall build quality and usefulness

ChiknNutz
12-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi, just registered after seeing this on the internet a couple of times. I have a few questions.

I understand that this machine is really marketed for the hobbyist, but I've seen a few posts that seem to question it's durability. So, those of you that HAVE used it for a while now, how robust is this thing? Is it prone to breaking down? Does it need a lot of babysitting to make it work right?

Knowing that it is meant for artwork, and not serious woodworking, does it seem to do a pretty fair job of that?

Does anyone on here have experience working with a more traditional CNC? I've been eyeing a ShopBot for a while, but can't yet justify the expense. This little machine looks intriguing, but I also don't want a $2k paperweight.

What seems to be it's major shortcomings...such as quality of workmanship, ease of use, interface, software limitations, hardware limitations, etc?

I personally would look at using this for creating signs (with both text and artwork), with the intention of selling them.

I appreciate any advice or comments you may have. Thanks.

Dan-Woodman
12-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Chris A
I just do this as a hobby and it paid for itself in 6 months.
Carveings and signs are quick and easy . Other woodworking funtions are more slow such as routing a raised panal look in a solid door . The ones I did it made seven passes to do it .
Another feature I do like is it will drill adjustable shelf holes in cabinet side while your doing other things.
The carveing itself is so fasinating to watch , you don't want to do other things while it's carveing. later Daniel

pkunk
12-19-2006, 06:24 PM
The machine is getting better all the time. Most of us here are Beta testers & have really put them to the test. Some arn't too happy with the durability and other (like me) are. I think it all depends what your expectations are. I make signs mostly with mine, but have put carvings on beds, plinth blocks, and huge SW corbels. It's broken down on me, but the Carvewright team has always got me back up and running within a reasonable time.
Here's a repair and dress up project I did today.

Dan-Woodman
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey Pkunk
Nice cabinets . Did you drill the adjustable shelf holes with the cw?
And is that solid wood or ply.
I 've been playing around with plastic mirror last night. I made ovals about 3x5 and used the 1/16" carving bit to cut the letters Merry Christmas in the back . Wasn't reel pleased with the outcome. The letters were a little to large and the bit should have been smaller.

pkunk
12-19-2006, 09:22 PM
I do use the CW for my shelf holes but these cabs were made by someone else. They were poorly built w/ no FF. I cleaned 'em up and built FF & doweled the signs into the top.