PDA

View Full Version : Infeed sand paper on feed rollers torn

GRASSHOPPER
12-07-2010, 07:34 PM
This is where I always go first when I have a problem and have always had great luck with you guys. Now, if that is enough sucking up here is my problem. I was carving some plaques for Christmas and the board just stopped moving during the "measuring board" function. When I cleared the board from the machine the sand paper belt on the infeed side was torn in half. I was hoping that there would be enough friction with half a belt to finish the project but no such luck.

The question is. Where can I get another belt and is this a DIY job? I did a quick check at the CarveWright web site but didn't find anything right away. I am going back there now and will contact customer service but I am betting there is more help here. Hope so anyway.

GRASSHOPPER
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I just found the instructions and am looking for the parts.

Ike
12-07-2010, 07:51 PM
This is where I always go first when I have a problem and have always had great luck with you guys. Now, if that is enough sucking up here is my problem. I was carving some plaques for Christmas and the board just stopped moving during the "measuring board" function. When I cleared the board from the machine the sand paper belt on the infeed side was torn in half. I was hoping that there would be enough friction with half a belt to finish the project but no such luck.

The question is. Where can I get another belt and is this a DIY job? I did a quick check at the CarveWright web site but didn't find anything right away. I am going back there now and will contact customer service but I am betting there is more help here. Hope so anyway.

Easy job, if you can afford it buy the rubber belts, they go on the same! Any way there a 4 allen head screws to remove on each table and 1 phillip on the center fence to remove the fence. The table screws are round head look and you will see them. Then on the non key pad side there is a plastic cover that shields the gears for the table, simply use your thumb and index finger squeeze and remove cover.

Once the tables are removed and your have your new belts sand paper or rubber, LHR supplies 4 pins to hold the rollers compressed. I use 2 bar clamp to compress the rollers and using the supplied pins lock the rollers and remove old belts and install new belts. Then use the bar clamps again to remove pins and install table back into machine and tighten screws and install center fence!

Ike

GRASSHOPPER
12-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks Ike,

I found the rubber belts and asked service if there were any of the regular ones available. I'll get whatever they have and get back to it. I put this job off too long so I am going shopping for something else to give for Christmas tomorrow. Maybe I learned a lesson but I doubt it.

kool69sporty
12-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Bruce, something to check before you start back up with the new belts; be sure all 4 corner posts are fastened securely. The bolts that go into the top & bottom of the verticle corner posts are not cemented with lock-tight so they can loosen and cause a side load on the belts when they are running. Likewise, a narrow project board can give a side load as well. Consider a sled for minimum width boards. I'm pretty sure loose bolts caused my belts to walk sideways and catch and tear. I found 1 bottom bolt had completely fallen out. Another 2 turns loose.
Just an FYI.
Regards, Joe

GRASSHOPPER
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Kool.

Thanks for the info. I know what caused mine. I have a problem when the machine is finding the bit tip. The little plate that swings out on the right side for the bit to come down and touch doesn't swing all the way and the tip misses it causing the machine to fail. My fix is a bent up coat hanger that I use to push the plate the rest of the way back. One of my prototype pushers made its way under the machine and hooked the belt. It was totally my fault. I will be sure to check the bolts you mentioned.