PDA

View Full Version : Edge Rout

Oldtrainerguy
12-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I need some advice. I carved a project last night. Everything was laid out great. The carve was great but when it came to the edge rout the machine did one pass at one end and ended the project? What went wrong?

CarverJerry
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
post your file so we can take a look at it, but just for me...I never edge route with the CW, I save it for my router table.

CJ

Kenm810
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Same Here, -- I do it with a hand router or my router table.
It saves a lot wear and tear (http://www.merriam-webster.com/browse/dictionary/wear%20and%20tear) on my Machine and cut time on my Cut Motor

Oldtrainerguy
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. I kinda figured that is the case. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced router and table? I am looking at Craftsman only because their routers accept both 1/2 and 1/4 inch bits. Since I already have the bit set from carvewright I think that might be the best option. I dont need a high end at this point.

Thanks for the help

Carve right Carve often!

henry1
12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Same Here, -- I do it with a hand router or my router table.
It saves a lot wear and tear (http://www.merriam-webster.com/browse/dictionary/wear%20and%20tear) on my Machine and cut time on my Cut Motor
Have to agree with Ken I always use my router table save time and wear on the machine

dbfletcher
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys. I kinda figured that is the case. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced router and table? I am looking at Craftsman only because their routers accept both 1/2 and 1/4 inch bits. Since I already have the bit set from carvewright I think that might be the best option. I dont need a high end at this point.

Thanks for the help

Carve right Carve often!

Im sure I am in the minority here.. but my feelings are that if they are stating "on the box" that the machine can be used for that function.... then by all means use the machine to its fullest potential. If the machine really isnt designed for such functions they should be removed from the firmware. The notion that this one machine could replace several in a small workshop was one of my big reasons for purchasing it in the first place. I now do also have a table and hand held router.... but sometimes I still do the routing functions on the cw even if i think it is faster one one of the other machines.

CarverJerry
12-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I think your Craftsman router & table would be a nice Christmas gift for you. Doug is right, I've edge routed with mine but not any more and mainy it's much faster to hand route it and since I use a sled most of the time I don't cut my end pieces when I use my router table. Here is a picture of my home made router table. Got lucky and a friend gave this to me.

CJ