PDA

View Full Version : Sled Trouble

Aaron
12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Hello, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but, anyway here's my problem I made sled/jig that allows for the extra 3.5" on each side, but when I try to start my carving it tells me to slide the rail againts the edge of the project. When it tries to determine the thickness of the wood (.75 +.75) and can go no further. Help, Thanks.

dbfletcher
12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
On a sled you still need to fill in the voids in width if you project board is narrower than your sled. If you sled has rails, sometimes you can cheat by just placing a strip of tape across the width where the sensor looks for the width of the board. The machine expects to find the guide rail at the edge of where it measured the board width.

AskBud
12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Hello, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but, anyway here's my problem I made sled/jig that allows for the extra 3.5" on each side, but when I try to start my carving it tells me to slide the rail againts the edge of the project. When it tries to determine the thickness of the wood (.75 +.75) and can go no further. Help, Thanks.

As Doug stated Masking tape is your friend. Lots of us place a strip of 1" masking tape across the width and the center line of the length (where we know the sensor on the truck is going to pass while measuring.
Remember that the Width, in your Designer layout, is on your screen from top to bottom. The Length is from Left to Right.
The extra 3.5 " goes on the ends of the board/sled (if you are "staying under the rollers, which I always do).
In my "Download" link, below, you will find a PDF lesson on my "Multi-Use Sled. It may help you better understand the concept.
AskBud

keninar
01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Good evening - great thread for a new carver, and it dovetails nicely with my current query. Please allow me to continue the learning process.

Trying to carve an image on a oval slab of pine, similar to the stock items one might find a Hobby Lobby or Michaels. The carved image (an oval), when centered allows for an app .75" border from the edge of the slab.

Obviously, this type requires a sled/carrier board to be compatible with the CW. Made a sled/carrier board that allows for the extra 3.5" on either end, sufficient additional width and locking wedges to prevent stock movement (pic attached). Loaded the sled up in the CW and as it began to measure the board width, it noted a 1.5" width - as opposed to the actual 11.5" width of the sled. Darned machine was sharp enough to notice the slight gap between the edge of the sled and the stock.

So I hit the forums to see if the answer was there. AskBud stated in this thread; "Lots of us place a strip of 1" masking tape across the width and the center line of the length (where we know the sensor on the truck is going to pass while measuring." OK - I understand the theory - the masking tape provides a surface to "read' from. But surely one must remove the tape as some point, correct? How do you guys go about this?

Read AskBud's paper on multi-use sleds. Great info that I'm certain I'll use. And it represents a most similar issue: the gap between the rails and the stock to be carved.

Any guidance you can provide to the "new kid' will be greatly appreciated.

Ken in AR

dbfletcher
01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I typically just leave the tape on. It hasnt cuased any problems for me. OR you can do as LG suggests. Load the sled off center so one of the tails is under the sensor head... that way the voids in your carve area dont come in to play. This is also why he suggests using at least 4.5" on each end. Makes it easier to make sure you are under the roller and still on a tail at start of project.

AskBud
01-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Good evening - great thread for a new carver, and it dovetails nicely with my current query. Please allow me to continue the learning process.

Trying to carve an image on a oval slab of pine, similar to the stock items one might find a Hobby Lobby or Michaels. The carved image (an oval), when centered allows for an app .75" border from the edge of the slab.

Obviously, this type requires a sled/carrier board to be compatible with the CW. Made a sled/carrier board that allows for the extra 3.5" on either end, sufficient additional width and locking wedges to prevent stock movement (pic attached). Loaded the sled up in the CW and as it began to measure the board width, it noted a 1.5" width - as opposed to the actual 11.5" width of the sled. Darned machine was sharp enough to notice the slight gap between the edge of the sled and the stock.

So I hit the forums to see if the answer was there. AskBud stated in this thread; "Lots of us place a strip of 1" masking tape across the width and the center line of the length (where we know the sensor on the truck is going to pass while measuring." OK - I understand the theory - the masking tape provides a surface to "read' from. But surely one must remove the tape as some point, correct? How do you guys go about this?

Read AskBud's paper on multi-use sleds. Great info that I'm certain I'll use. And it represents a most similar issue: the gap between the rails and the stock to be carved.

Any guidance you can provide to the "new kid' will be greatly appreciated.

Ken in AR
Two points!
First, the 1" strip of tape should not cause much trouble if left in place.
Second, you may remove a good portion of the tape as you do the bit changes (just do not raise the head of the carver). the machine only needs the tape the do that initial measurements.
AskBud

keninar
01-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks you, Kindly, Gentlemen!

I'll round up some tape and see how it goes.

Appreciate your guidance, greatly!!

Ken in AR

kool69sporty
01-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Ken in AK, there is no need to remove the tape because you really don't need to put a strip along the center of the project/sled (althought you could cut right thru it anyway). The photo sensor only turns on for the right side after the sled has moved past the right hand compression roller about 2". So, you need a verticle strip of tape along both left & right sides of the sled, but don't need any across the center. I'd suggest two (2) strips of that 1" wide tape as a precaution. And when loading the sled under the rollers, set the left hand side of the sled about 1/4" under that left compression roller. The machine first moves board to right, finds left side and then measures width in "Y" direction. Then it re-centers and moves the sled all the way to the left until right compression roller is unloaded, waits about 2" and then turns on the photo eye. Hope I'm clear.
Joe

liquidguitars
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
As Doug stated Masking tape is your friend. Lots of us place a strip of 1" masking tape across the width and the center line of the length (where we know the sensor on the truck is going to pass while measuring.
Remember that the Width, in your Designer layout, is on your screen from top to bottom. The Length is from Left to Right.
The extra 3.5 " goes on the ends of the board/sled (if you are "staying under the rollers, which I always do).

1. Please do not use 3.5" tails for a sled NEVER! build your sled with 4" or better.
2. select " stay under roller = NO" next select "keep the same" and last "place on end"
3. never use masking tape on the top of a sled but load the sled in the Carvewright so the rear roller makes contact over the 4" tail and you will remove any board sensor error.
4. do not center a sled but use "place on corner" 03
5. keep designer layout the same as your sled and all will work without hassle.