PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor RPM Sensor

RSchnied
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I recently replaced the old quick chuck and put in the new Carvetight. First carve was good and I was impressed with how fine the carve was with the new Carvetight. On the second carve things were progressing well when I had to change bits and the cut motor would not restart. The head just moved the 60 degree bit but the cut motor did not turn.

I Read the posts concerning cut motor and checked everything that was mentioned in the posts without finding the problem. So I began to dig deeper into the cut motor. I saw that the rpm sensor magnet sleeve seemed to no longer be tight. As I checked further i could not find a round magnet mounted to the shaft. I search all through the motor housing but could not find the magnet. I am assuming that this is the reason I have not rpm sensor readings. Can this magnet and sleeve be replaced or do I need to replace the entire motor?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

fwharris
12-05-2010, 09:34 PM
You can get both the magnet retainer and magnet from LHR. The old style retainer was rubber, new is plastic.

earlyrider
12-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't believe the lack of the magnet would have prevented the cutmotor from running. Perhaps the brushes are severely worn, or one of the wires going to the CM switch was loose. The magnet would be the principal cause for no rpm sensor readings; and for the CM, a secondary possibility of a faulty X Termination board, or broken wire on the power supply coil. Look for Al's photos; they cover all these things.
Ron

daniel9ds
12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.

chebytrk
12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Greetings Daniel.

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.

RSchnied
12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Thank you for the information and welcome Dan.

I called Carvewright to order the sleeve and magnet. I ordered some brushes as I was due to replace them soon. When my order came, the cut motor RPM sensor was in my order but no magnet and sleeve. I called Carvewright and this time was told that they do not sell the magnet only the sleeve. I was told to go to a hardware store to find a magnet. Frustrated but not deterred, I put the brushes in and then began to look for a replacement magnet and sleeve. I discovered that the magnets in the bit case were the right size to fit on the shaft. So I superglued one in place and fashioned a new sleeve since the old one was hard and inflexible.

I reassembled the machine and with anticipation turned it on, selected a project only to see the z truck move the head down and stall. Thinking I did not have all of the Cables inserted properly I checked every cable connection. I did not find anything that appeared to not be properly connected. Reassembled again only to find the machine completely dead now.

I have power to switch and power supply but get no display on the LCD. I have checked the contrast adjustment without success. I have reformatted the Card and I have again checked all connections but I am at a loss to find the issue. I am beginning to think my wife was right, I should have sent it to Carvewright for the upgrade and service.

Digitalwoodshop
12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Rich,

Sounds like L2 in the power supply has a broken lead. Lay the machine on it's back, the muffler side and turn it on... Bet it comes back on.... Gravity pushes it back together.

Search "L2 Power Supply" and see pictures about it.

AL

RSchnied
12-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks Al, I went through the entire underside and made sure every connection was tight. L2 was not lose or open but when I put it all back together it powered up and gave me info on the LCD.

So now I am back to the problem I first had after replacing the brushes and rpm sensor. When I select any operation from the keyboard such as measure or a project the Z Truck immediately move down and I get a Z Axis Stall Err 06-03-0313. I am thinking that my FFC cable is the issue since it does not look great on one end. That is the only thing I can see that does not look right. I still have the original Z pack with 16 pin cable if that makes any difference. Any idea how much the new z pack is?

Thanks again for all the help!

Rich