PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for new area on forum.

ibewiggin
12-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Not sure where I should really post this. I believe that it would be very helpful for newbies to have a sticky with the essentials. Or even its own section for newbies. I am learning and I know that it would have been very helpful for me. Information like make sure you buy a new warrantied machine for your first, what aftermarket equipment is recommended like rock chuck, dust collector, and etc. What spare parts should be kept on hand. Recomended oils, waxes, and lubricants. It would be real easy for beginners, because although all this information is on the forum a beginner does not even know what to look for, so unless they are lucky and just stumble across it.... Thank you all for the help that I have received, and hope you take this idea into concideration for the future carvers.

CarverJerry
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
There is one very important for all newbies. When doing a search "ALWAYS" put your "SEARCH WORDS IN QUOTES" That alone will help out so much. Just my 2 cents worth, and I'm still a newbie myself... Really helps to read the fourm everyday, make it part of your family, and you'll just learn so much just from reading and asking questions to others problems. These guys on here are so helpful... My Big Thanks to EVERYONE on here.

CJ

Woodhacker
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I have been using the forums for a couple of years, but would like to know which dust collector users have found to be the best for our machine. I want to buy a DC, but am not sure of which one would best serve me. Thanks!!

AskBud
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I have been using the forums for a couple of years, but would like to know which dust collector users have found to be the best for our machine. I want to buy a DC, but am not sure of which one would best serve me. Thanks!!
Your thinking process should be in two parts.
First, lots of us have opted for a "Top Mounted Vacuum Head" for the CW.
http://www.wix.com/littleredwoodshop/cnccorner/dust-collection
Second, I suggest a DC (not a shop vac) with at least a 660 CFM 4" port.
Mine came from Sears, but there are lots of choices.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14617-My-vacuum-hookup&p=122104#post122104
AskBud

Woodhacker
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks Bud. I know the shop vac won't do the job. Was just wondering which of the regular DC's folks had found to be the best. For me, it would be dedicated to the machine with nothing else hooked to it. The top-mount systems I have seen on the forums seem to be the way to go, but still wanna know which collector folks have had the best luck with. Again, thanks for your input. You have always been a good source of info.

lynnfrwd
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
I will be addressing this early next week as I continue to make changes to and hopefully improve the forum.

mtylerfl
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Not sure where I should really post this. I believe that it would be very helpful for newbies to have a sticky with the essentials. Or even its own section for newbies. I am learning and I know that it would have been very helpful for me. Information like make sure you buy a new warrantied machine for your first, what aftermarket equipment is recommended like rock chuck, dust collector, and etc. What spare parts should be kept on hand. Recomended oils, waxes, and lubricants. It would be real easy for beginners, because although all this information is on the forum a beginner does not even know what to look for, so unless they are lucky and just stumble across it.... Thank you all for the help that I have received, and hope you take this idea into concideration for the future carvers.

Hello,

You may already know about this...

The Tips & Tricks issues (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm) contain a LOT of information to help users to be successful with their CarveWright Machines. I always recommend new users read the Dec. '07 and Jan. '08 issues immediately, so they can learn the basic operating procedures and machine maintenance. Many folks print out the Tips & Tricks, then compile them in a 3-Ring binder for a handy reference. Some use a highlighter pen to emphasize sections they may want to refer to often.

Also, the Software Owner's Manual is often 'missed' by new and older users alike. (download the manual by clicking here (http://www.carvewright.com/service/Manuals/CarveWright_Software_Manual.pdf)) It contains about 200 pages of great information with an index to help users learn about specific software features and functions.