PDA

View Full Version : Centering Question

gumbo
12-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I am working with a board that is 8" x 8". It is divided into 4 quadrants each 4" x 4". I am going to place an object into each quadrant. How do I center these objects in their quadrants other than by eye?

dbfletcher
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
one way would be to start with a 4x4 board. Load your object and center both horizontal and vertical. Then make an attachement from some point to the two adjacent sides (left/top, top/right, right/bottom, etc). You can remove the centering constraints after the attachment have been made. Make note of the attachemnt coordinates and then when you go to a 8x8 the coords will center in that quadrent. Kinda of a lot of work.. but it is exact.

heres a couple pics to show the left upper quadrent

myshop1044
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
dbfletcher (http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?3112-dbfletcher) is right, work 1 quadrants at a time, top left, I do the same thing with my 4 coasters, first place a line, top down then left to right ,dead center( cross hairs) at 4 x 4 using the grid system with snap on, then I switch to 1/8" grid, that will put a cross hairs in the center of each quadrants . After you complete you work, you can copy all the work and then move it to the next quadrant by copy and paste and so on.
Once I have my work located whey I want it I will save the work as a blank to be use again and again.
That brings up a good idea, It would be nice, if it doesn't already work and I just missed it, is to be able to color the different cross hairs on the grid system. maybe red for dead center, then another color at 2" intervals and so on, this would help see the cross hairs you want to do something with.

Just a thought.

Myshop

gumbo
12-01-2010, 09:40 PM
one way would be to start with a 4x4 board. Load your object and center both horizontal and vertical. Then make an attachement from some point to the two adjacent sides (left/top, top/right, right/bottom, etc). You can remove the centering constraints after the attachment have been made. Make note of the attachemnt coordinates and then when you go to a 8x8 the coords will center in that quadrent. Kinda of a lot of work.. but it is exact.

heres a couple pics to show the left upper quadrent
You lost me on the attachment points. How are you making these?

dbfletcher
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Just right click on any of the dots around your SELECTED pattern. It can be the red dots or yellow.. doesnt matter. Then select attach and move your mouse in the direction of the edge that you want your attachment to go to. Does that help? If not, Im sure askbud has a video lesson on attachments.

Ike
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Gumbo it works well with a square or round object since you can deal with whole numbers. But an apple the height will be longer then the width. So take that 4" by 4" square and find the center it would be 2" correct? Now say it is a rectangle 2" by 3" using the measuring restraints to be centered it would be 1" from the and 1" from the dividing center line inside. Then 1/2" from the top and 1/2" from the bottom dividing line.

I provided an example, basically find the center of the square and then the center of the object and figure the distance from the top and the bottom. Both numbers will be the same. The same goes for the sides.

Ok I thought about this and came up with this! Use lines within the squares that find the center, then take your pattern and line the dots horizontally and vertically. Any size the pattern will find the center see attached mpc once done remove the lines

Ike

AskBud
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I am working with a board that is 8" x 8". It is divided into 4 quadrants each 4" x 4". I am going to place an object into each quadrant. How do I center these objects in their quadrants other than by eye?
Using your 8" square as my design, I could do the following:
Remember that the pattern has a rectangle perimeter legend with yellow dots in the center of each side.
Set your grid to 2", as that would be the center of each quadtant, and turn it on.
Now, bring in your pattern and line up (place) those yellow dots on the grid lines.

Let's see if that gets you where you need to be!
AskBud

Ike
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
dbfletcher (http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?3112-dbfletcher) is right, work 1 quadrants at a time, top left, I do the same thing with my 4 coasters, first place a line, top down then left to right ,dead center( cross hairs) at 4 x 4 using the grid system with snap on, then I switch to 1/8" grid, that will put a cross hairs in the center of each quadrants . After you complete you work, you can copy all the work and then move it to the next quadrant by copy and paste and so on.
Once I have my work located whey I want it I will save the work as a blank to be use again and again.
That brings up a good idea, It would be nice, if it doesn't already work and I just missed it, is to be able to color the different cross hairs on the grid system. maybe red for dead center, then another color at 2" intervals and so on, this would help see the cross hairs you want to do something with.

Just a thought.

Myshop

You know I forgot about the grid feature! Under layout to snap and set a grid!

Ike

gumbo
12-02-2010, 06:36 AM
I already tried what Ike and Bud have suggested about lining up the yellow dots. But when I get home from work I am going to try the other suggestion to see if I understand how to do it. thanks for all the help may be asking for more help once I attempt the other methods.

Ike
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I already tried what Ike and Bud have suggested about lining up the yellow dots. But when I get home from work I am going to try the other suggestion to see if I understand how to do it. thanks for all the help may be asking for more help once I attempt the other methods.
Gumbo here is a screen shot with what I mean and if I read myshop correctly he was saying too! He used the word cross hair and that is a great description. I used it to find the center and will work with even and odd numbers kind of like making an X on a board to find the center. Now you could go one step further and do that, but I don't think you need to. In this case you know the center is 2", by laying out the cross without assigning a bit leave as a guide. Place any pattern with the top and bottom middle dots aligned dots on the vertical line and the right and left middle dots on the horizontal line of the cross and the pattern is centered!

Ike

PS I made sure both lines were 4" and assigned a zero to the edge of the board on the sides and top and bottom. Plus make sure the lines are plum. simply put align the center top, bottom,middle left and right dots of any pattern on the cross the left and right on the horizontal line and top and bottom with the vertical. Then remove the lines before carving, I think it would be ok to leave them since a bit was not assigned? I never tried the CW may think it is an assigned carve? So I would remove them!