PDA

View Full Version : Can you set board thickness manually?

stoltz
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I glued some wood together to get 14"wide. My planer only goes to 13" so I had to palm sand to smooth the joined board. I guess I didn't sand well enough. I had painted the wood before carving. I wanted the tall areas to stay painted and the lower areas to be the wood color. I guess my piece wasn't consistent in height because some of the areas that were to stay painted, got carved just a little. Only enough to take off the color, not the primer.
Anyway, could I manually set the board thickness in the machine so that it thinks the board is a little thicker than it really is...say 1/32 or 1/16 thicker?
My thought is that the machine will think the surface of the board is higher than it actually is and will not skim off the top of those areas. I would think the carve will not be as deep, but that would be ok.
Don't know if any of this makes sense or not.

Thanks,
Scott

CarverJerry
12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
A way around this would be to place something under the tool when it touches off the board, say like a popsicle stick or just a piece of wood.

dbfletcher
12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Sure... set the jog to touch option at the control panel, and then you can put a shim down in the are where set the bit to touch to find the top surface fo the board. Not at the machine right now, so my terms may not be 100% accurate, but hopefuly you understand what Im trying to say.

Dang... everyone is beating me to the punch today. I must need more caffine today.

stoltz
12-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Thanks,
Sometimes I try to make things more difficult. I never thought of simply placing something on the board.