PDA

View Full Version : board sensor not reading

11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Im having problems with my board sensor. When I get a board loaded in and the project set up it tells me to load the board. I did that and it still wont work. I checked the settings and the sensor is reading zero. Anyone with a solution? Thanks

Smoken D
11-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Might check the pressure on the rollers. Need to be around 80 pounds. When I was getting that error and the board was loaded was not getting enough pressure when cranking down onto the wood. With not getting enough pressure the sensor does not read that the head is down onto the wood.

Digitalwoodshop
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
A few things to check....

First is the white paper test.... White copy paper and place it on a board and crank it down so the distance is correct.

Select Options, Sensor Data, Board Sensor... The LCD should read about 156 when GOOD.

Less than 156.... Dirty window, one LED is broken, 2 LED's are broken. Slicing down the back of the board sensor and looking at broken LED's or a dirty window. I have one for almost 2 years with masking tape covering the back working almost daily.

Now if you get a ZERO reading it could be a pinched wire... When you have a zero look at the Z Encoder data and move the head. Does it change from 0000 to numbers? Yes, most likely NOT a short but a bad sensor.

Let us know... Get stuck.. Call me.... Number on my website.

AL

Uncle joe's woodworx
11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I have been having the same problem all morning. After reading AL's advice and checking all answers on board sensor problems mine has turned out to be a torn FSC cable. seems after 765 hours things wearout. Only a $2.81 cost for the cable so I bought 2. also ordered a new board sensor for $23 .00 less $8.00 when I return the old one. The advice on this forum is fantastic and has saved me endless amounts of frustrtation and money. I love this machine and am so thankfull for people like Al and others who help us . GOD Bless JOE

Digitalwoodshop
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Your Welcome.... Y Gear Box Bearings..... Have you replaced them yet?

AL

kool69sporty
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Uncle Joe......765 cut hours on 1 machine!!!! Who can beat that!!
Way ta go, Joe
Joe

Digitalwoodshop
11-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I had to look.... 909 Cut Hours.... I have 2 other machines with over 500 and one that has about 300 ??? from Ike. I need to put all the parts back on them that I stole to keep one going.....

I am sure there are some machines with more hours than Me.....

I remember the first time I posted a Hours reading picture on the Forum... It was noted in my file.... Next time I called.... We see you have ....xxx Hours.... WAY over 200.... Snicker.... I deleted it from this computer... It's on my back up USB Drives...

AL

kool69sporty
12-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Al, that's simply amazin'. I always assumed this is a 250 hr. machine unless you do a full rebuild, than maybe 500. But almost 1000 hr!!!!, WOW.
Joe

Uncle joe's woodworx
12-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Your Welcome.... Y Gear Box Bearings..... Have you replaced them yet?

AL
Yep!!!! Two times already,along with cut motor brushes twice. I may not be on the forum with replys much but I read it daily at least twice. I have been running with the rock chuck and Floyds vac system since Oct 2009 and I know this is why ,along with proper maintenance is the reason I enjoy my machine so much. It's a great machine and does some amazing things for under $2,000.00. God Bless JOE

DickB
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I had some board sensor issues recently and when I pulled the sensor to check it the mounting ears broke off. Couldn't even find pieces of the one. I had never touched it before. I fabbed up this bracket out of sheet aluminum to get back running.

cpt.al
12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Just wanted to wain in the problem of the board sensor. I too have had many problems in that area but mine are compounded by the fact that I have been working in very hard to see dark wood such as teak and very old redwood. After many faults ect. pulling the sensor I found it to have dirt behind the lense. I removed the lense and by using the sensor check mode on the machine I fine tuned the LED`s where now I get above 98 on untreated Teak. Glued new lens on and all is well. There is a focal point from the LED to the reciever.

kool69sporty
12-06-2010, 08:46 AM
cpt.al, I think most of us have seen the photo-eye problems of the edge detector, but your's is the first I heard of anybody "tuning the LEDs" and talk of "focal point". I hope you post a little more detail as you may have hit upon an important point, especially with dark/painted materials.
Regards, Joe

Digitalwoodshop
12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Interesting concept.... Tuning the sensor.... There are 2 LED's and a hole where the sensor is looks through.

AL