PDA

View Full Version : Bits and sharpening

toymaker
12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I am new here to the forum and it is my first post. First thing first...coodoes to the Carvewright team. The router is fantastic and I am having a ball doing things that have taken me forever (or at least seemed like it) :D .
My question is two fold....
1. From reading a few of the other post on engraving and carving small letters, it doesn't seem possible yet. However...is there any bit out there that would do the job? Like a Dremel engraving bit and i am sorry if this has already been answered.
2. For the two bits that were included with the CW...when time comes, is there a recommended fashion on sharpening the bits? Can they be sharpend using, sya, the Drill Doctor that is available on the market?

Thanks

pkunk
12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
The only bits currently supported by the software are the ones sold by Carvewright or their generic dimensional equivlants.
The solid carbide carving bit is not resharpenable but shouls last quite a long time. I have probably 50 hrs on mine and it is still good. Standard carbide bits like the 90° bit can be resharpened at your local sharpening service.

Dan-Woodman
12-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey toymaker
In the software click on the bits icon and you will see an asortment of bits that can be used in your machine . I think any bit you have or can get that looks like the ones on the software will work because the machine measures the bit and referances it to the board anyway.
Also I have had no trouble tell the machine to drill with the 1/8" bit but installing a 1/4" bit in its place for adjustable shelf holes.
They do not show a 1/4" bit on the software
The drilldockter is for sharpening drill bits not router bits.
hopes this helps