PDA

View Full Version : Stacked Books Decorative Box - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for DEC 2010), the Stacked Books Decorative Box. This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This decorative box looks like five books stacked on top of one another. The top book is the lid. You can stow remote controls, stationary, cherished items or whatever you wish in the Stacked Books box!

The project requires no special bits and all components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine. The finished dimensions of the assembled Stacked Books Box are about 11" wide x 8½" deep x 5½" tall.

You will need to cut miter joints where the sides and rear pieces join, using a miter box or chop saw or table saw.

Main items you will need:

1)The Project Files (included):
• ADV_BookBox_Base.mpc
• ADV_Bookbox_TOP_frame.mpc
• Plain_Bookbox_TOP_Layer.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
BookBox Base: 0.75" x 11" x 28"
BookBox Top frame: 0.75" x 9.25" x 19"
BookBox Top Layer: 0.75" x 11" x 19"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

Box Bottom (not an mpc):
approx. dimensions: .75" x 7.25" x 9.5"

3) Box clamps (strap), miter box or chop saw or table saw, hinges, decorative chain

4) Glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish (optional: self-stick cork and felt sheets for bottom and inside of box)

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Stacked Books Decorative Box made from Select Pine:

• 2 coats of Bullseye SealCoat, sanding between coats
(thinned... 2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• 2 coats Bullseye SealCoat, straight from can
• applied various colored water-based stains - as a glazing technique (Minwax Express Color tubes in Emerald, Mahogany, Indigo, Crimson and Minwax Vermont Maple water-based stain from a can)
• 2 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray
• applied Minwax oil-based Dark Walnut stain overall, then wiped off, giving the appearance of “old” books
• 2 more coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray
• 2 coats Minwax water-base Satin polycrylic (brushed on)

After the finish is dry, re-install your hinges and a length of decorative chain inside the box as a strain relief to limit the lid from opening back too far. You can then apply self-stick cork sheeting to the exterior bottom of the box and line the box interior with self-stick felt sheeting, if desired.

dbfletcher
11-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Wow!!!! You really out did yourself this time! That is fantasticalleriffic! (ok.. so that IS a made up word... i figured I was on a roll and went with it.) My GF is a librarian so there is no way I'm getting out of making this one.

Kenm810
11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Another nice one Michael,

A Great looking fall or winter Project

STEAM
11-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Michael
That is really a nice project. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.

jab73180
11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
you always seem to out do yourself michael.

Smoken D
11-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Another great one Michael! I know the wife will love this one!

Capt Bruce
11-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Fantastic Michael. The perfect holder for all that small gear that floats around the table and desk. Have to do several. Well done as always.

CarverJerry
11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Good job Michael, looks like you put some thought into this project. I like how you positioned the hinges so it doesn't open like a regular book, a magnet would help keep the grandkids out also...thanks

CJ

Gean
11-27-2010, 08:24 AM
WOW, this is a great project. IF a person was really, really good (or knew someone that was) then the book edge could have a title, author and publisher painted on it.

I'm just finishing up 10 of the book holders as Christmas presents and need to carve/finish two more "NOEL" screens for my wife's co-workers. Busier than Santa's workshop.

Gean

mtylerfl
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Thank you, everyone!

Hey Gean,

There are so many possibilities for this project - one being doing what you said. I was in Michaels Arts & Crafts and saw they have Rub-On "decals" and lettering. That might be a neat way to put titles on the book binder ends. Also, the top "bookcover" (the lid) was intentionally left plain. It's a perfect place to use some nice Centerline Text to customize/personalize with a book "title" on the cover (you could get creative there with something like "The Adventures of <someone's name>", or whatever). Have fun with it!

James RS
11-28-2010, 06:32 AM
That is a great project, I really like the finish colors

chebytrk
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Anyone know when this POM is going to be released to us? I haven't received anything yet.

mtylerfl
12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Anyone know when this POM is going to be released to us? I haven't received anything yet.

Hi Jerry,

The POM has been sent out already. Any chance the email could be in your "spam" file or something? If you can't find the email you can always go to your customer account on the CarveWright website and download it from there.

CarverJerry
12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I got mine a couple of days ago.........

CJ

chebytrk
12-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Just checked again and must say " my bad"......... my POM membership expired this month (Dec 2). My how time flies. So, I just signed up again in hopes that I get the book stack. shhhhhhhhhhhhh............ don't say anything to Mrs. Claus ! : ) I'll make this POM for her and tell her that I was thinking of her and did it all for her. ; ) ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ........

Gean
02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
42424Here's a couple of pictures of the "Stacked Books" POM. Great project MT. I've had several oohs and aahs.

Gean42423

Ike
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
42424Here's a couple of pictures of the "Stacked Books" POM. Great project MT. I've had several oohs and aahs.

Gean42423
Gean you use insert inline rather then done and we are not able to view your photos!

Ike

mtylerfl
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of the "Stacked Books" POM. Great project MT. I've had several oohs and aahs.

Gean

Hi Gean,

Glad you enjoyed the project!

DurhamDev
02-24-2011, 12:03 PM
My Wife LOVES the stacked book box! It's amazing! (Edited for 'ordering it now'!)

mtylerfl
02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
My Wife LOVES the stacked book box! It's amazing! (Edited for 'ordering it now'!)

Awesome! Good to hear!

guido5286
11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I want to purchase this POM but I'm having a hard time finding 3/4" select pine. My hardware stores only have 1/2" and 1". Would it be a problem to do the project on 1"?

chief2007
11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Actually measure the thickness of the 1 inch board - Stores such as lowes or homedepot tag the board as being 1 inch thick but it is actually 3/4 inch thick when finished for retail use.

mtylerfl
11-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I want to purchase this POM but I'm having a hard time finding 3/4" select pine. My hardware stores only have 1/2" and 1". Would it be a problem to do the project on 1"?

As chief mentioned...1" lumber is an actual measurement of about 3/4". Examples...a 1"x12" measures 3/4" x 11.25"...a 2x4 measures 1.5" x 3.5"

The funny thing is a 1/2" x 6" x 24" plank of clear pine will measure 1/2" x 5.5" x 24"...notice the thickness and length are "true" but the width is short by 1/2". However, a plank of 1/2" x 6" x 24" Oak or Poplar will measure slightly less than 1/2" thick x 5.5" x 24". Crazy I know, but that's the way it is. That's why I always take a tape measure with me to the lumberyard to see what I'm actually getting.

I bought my first house when I was only 19 years old while I was in school (I had no credit...the owners carried their own papers so I could buy it...it was cheaper than renting). That house was a small two bedroom that was built in the 1920's. I was in the attic one day and noticed the 2x4's actually DID measure a real 2" x 4", which surprised me. Somewhere along the line, the lumber industry changed "measurement standards", I guess. Someone told me that fresh (wet) wood is cut at 2"x4", but after drying, they shrink to the current standard 1.5" x 3.5". (I don't know if that's really true or not.)

Smoken D
11-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Here it is

http://store.carvewright.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

dltccf
11-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I was told that the reason for this is that the measurements are accurate for when it is still rough cut. Then when it is planed you lose 1/8 to 1/4" on each side so your 1X6 rough cut becomes 3/4 X 5 1/2 from planing. I bet those real 2X4's in your attic were not planed. My attic from the same era also has real rough cut 2X4 in it.

dave

As chief mentioned...1" lumber is an actual measurement of about 3/4". Examples...a 1"x12" measures 3/4" x 11.25"...a 2x4 measures 1.5" x 3.5"

The funny thing is a 1/2" x 6" x 24" plank of clear pine will measure 1/2" x 5.5" x 24"...notice the thickness and length are "true" but the width is short by 1/2". However, a plank of 1/2" x 6" x 24" Oak or Poplar will measure slightly less than 1/2" thick x 5.5" x 24". Crazy I know, but that's the way it is. That's why I always take a tape measure with me to the lumberyard to see what I'm actually getting.

I bought my first house when I was only 19 years old while I was in school (I had no credit...the owners carried their own papers so I could buy it...it was cheaper than renting). That house was a small two bedroom that was built in the 1920's. I was in the attic one day and noticed the 2x4's actually DID measure a real 2" x 4", which surprised me. Somewhere along the line, the lumber industry changed "measurement standards", I guess. Someone told me that fresh (wet) wood is cut at 2"x4", but after drying, they shrink to the current standard 1.5" x 3.5". (I don't know if that's really true or not.)

mtylerfl
11-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Dave,

I believe you are right...that sounds familiar. Yes, the 2x4's were rough-textured as I recall.