PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Question

DaveN
11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I did a scan of a stile 2.75" wide 24" long, and about 3/4's of the way through the scan, it looks like the Y axis shifted about a 1/16". Its as if the stile was cut in half, then butted back together
end to end offset about a 1/16". The part didn't move, I used double sided tape to hold it down and because its over an inch thick, I surrounded all 4 sides with 1/2'' material and that too
is held down with tape. My 1st question is has anyone seen this before and if so, how can I fix it. My 2nd is can the pattern be fixed in the pattern editor? I tried but it doesn't look like I can, Im new
to CW so maybe Im missing something.

AskBud
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone,
I did a scan of a stile 2.75" wide 24" long, and about 3/4's of the way through the scan, it looks like the Y axis shifted about a 1/16". Its as if the stile was cut in half, then butted back together
end to end offset about a 1/16". The part didn't move, I used double sided tape to hold it down and because its over an inch thick, I surrounded all 4 sides with 1/2'' material and that too
is held down with tape. My 1st question is has anyone seen this before and if so, how can I fix it. My 2nd is can the pattern be fixed in the pattern editor? I tried but it doesn't look like I can, Im new
to CW so maybe Im missing something.
I've done something similar.
If one end/half is OK, and the actual model has the same (equal) carvings and shapes on both sides of center, you may be home free.
1) Edit your scan to reflect the good half only, and save it.
2) Bring that pattern into Designer.
3) Mirror it on the other side/end.
4) Make that a new pattern as your full piece.
My "Download" link, below, has a lesson on "Making a Complex pattern" which may help you understand the concept.
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
if its not the same on both ends you can save it as a greyscale png and bring that into any graphics software and move the half down some then bring back into pattern editor.

DaveN
11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the replies,
Its not the same on both ends, I'll have to try the greyscale trick. I'm more concerned with why it did what it did, is it something that just happens sometimes with the scanning prob or does the machine need to be re-calibrated ?

Thanks Bud for pointing me toward your download link, you have allot of useful info there.

DaveN
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I did what you said Tim, it worked great. I still have some blending to go but the pattern can be saved. Thanks for the tip.

DickB
11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm more concerned with why it did what it did, is it something that just happens sometimes with the scanning prob or does the machine need to be re-calibrated ?
I would look for typical y-movement problems such as dirty rails, loose belt, dirt on a cog, dirty or stripped drive gears, dust in the encoder.