PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to CarveTight - Selling quick change bits. What's the market price?

pjfiedler
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I had to upgrade to the CarveTight (new spindle). I have one new (never used) 1/8" cutting bit that came with the machine and a once used 1/16" carving bit. Both for the quick change (original "B" version of the spindle).

Just bought the 1/16" carving bit to use on a special project but ended up only using it once on a 10"x12" carving in cherry. The CarveWright support guys warned me not to cut off the press-on adapter because it would shatter in the new system. So I'm selling them.

What are these worth?

badger2424
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
How much do you want for the quick change chuck and the bits?

DickB
11-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Amazon sells them for $29 new.

pjfiedler
11-23-2010, 09:13 AM
How much do you want for the quick change chuck and the bits?

CarveWright is giving me the $40 rebate on the Chuck/z-truck. If you want to offer more that's great, however, the chuck has problems. It won't hold a new bit anymore. Don't know why. I would sell both bits together for $40.

pjfiedler
11-24-2010, 08:50 AM
I asked the CarveWright guys about using reusing my bits in the way you suggested and they warned me not to do that. I was told that if I tried using my old bits with the new Carvetight, the bits could shatter. They said the new Carvetight would exert more force on the bits (less room for tolerance) and, therefore, I would need the newer 100% carbide bits. Apparently the old bits are not 100% carbide.

Was that just a sales job, half truths or is it right on?

AskBud
11-24-2010, 09:27 AM
I asked the CarveWright guys about using reusing my bits in the way you suggested and they warned me not to do that. I was told that if I tried using my old bits with the new Carvetight, the bits could shatter. They said the new Carvetight would exert more force on the bits (less room for tolerance) and, therefore, I would need the newer 100% carbide bits. Apparently the old bits are not 100% carbide.

Was that just a sales job, half truths or is it right on?
I think you did not understand the warning!
The 1/16" Carving and the 1/8" Cutting bits should not be reused in the CarveTight (CT) chuck. All other bits purchased from LHR will work fine.
These two bits, listed above, should have a "press on collar" rather than using a split collet (this is because the shanks are carbide, and a split collet may allow for slippage).

You need a "Split Collet" for the ones with a 1/4" shank. LHR has the Collet for sale in their store.
AskBud

pjfiedler
11-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for clarify for everyone. My bad. I knew the "bit reuse" statement by CarveWright only referred to the 1/16" and 1/8" press-on bits. I should have been more accurate in my posting.

bjbethke
11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for clarify for everyone. My bad. I knew the "bit reuse" statement by CarveWright only referred to the 1/16" and 1/8" press-on bits. I should have been more accurate in my posting.

I use the old carving and cutting bits with my unit. But I do not use the Collet that LHR sells. I use one that Ron (The Rock) sells and was made for that use. The LHR bits are easer to use if you need several bits for a carving and they work great.

Any time a smaller bit than 1/2 inch the Collet needs to be placed in the right position or it will not hold the bits.

With Ron's Collet the slot needs to be placed in the right position. See images. BJB

mtylerfl
11-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Ike,

The Tips & Tricks ISSUE 29 April 2010 – Announcing the CarveTight (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr10.pdf) explains what can be used with the CT, which bits use sleeves, which cannot, etc., etc. Hope that helps clarify the subject for you!

lynnfrwd
11-24-2010, 07:19 PM
The 1/4" all carbide bits must have hard pressed adaptors. Only 1/4" steel shank bits (from full bit set) can have QC adapter removed and use 1/4" split collet.

mtylerfl
11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Ike,

No issues or fuss at my end! I gathered you weren't sure about which bits were used with the split collars vs. the hard pressed ones, so that was the reason for the Tips & Tricks link I provided.

The third-party bits you are using are likely not 100% carbide material (i.e., they are steel shank - not carbide shank), so your use of the split collar on those steel shank bits explains your success - the split collar cannot grip the CarveWright solid carbide shanks (the CarveWright cutting bit and the carving bit) without slipping sooner or later. That's why LHR has to use the pressed on collars for those - so they are guaranteed not to slip over the short and long term. As far as I know, LHR is the one and only source for pressed on collars for the carbide shank cutting and carving bits. The split collars do work on any steel shank bits, but not carbide shank bits.

AskBud
11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Thank you Michael, I use steel shank bits and also the CW 1/16th bit in the adapter so you are saying they can not be used? Or are the new bits carbide? I thought the bits that came in the QC were steel shank?

Now I have had a 1/16th bit slip in my rock, but not yet with the CT.

Again this post is my opinion has got out of hand! Sorry for showing my frustration, I was trying to help jp save a dollar! So if you can't use the bits from the QC then I won't say another word or type another word!

Ike
Since there are 2 different 1/16" bits, we need to make things clear!
The 1/16' Tapered Carving Bit requires a "Pressed Sleeve" for use in the CarveTight Assembly.

The 1/16" "Cutting bit", from LHR, may be used in conjunction with the "Split Collar".
AskBud

mtylerfl
11-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Thank you Michael, I use steel shank bits and also the CW 1/16th bit in the adapter so you are saying they can not be used? Or are the new bits carbide? I thought the bits that came in the QC were steel shank?

Now I have had a 1/16th bit slip in my rock, but not yet with the CT.

Again this post is my opinion has got out of hand! Sorry for showing my frustration, I was trying to help jp save a dollar! So if you can't use the bits from the QC then I won't say another word or type another word!

Ike

Hi Ike,

We cannot use the 1/16" Carving bit nor the 1/8" Cutting bit from the QC adapters in the CT because they won't have the pressed on sleeve. Those two bits have always been 100% solid carbide... all the other bits have always been steel shank. All that was explained last April in that Tips & Tricks - take a peek at it when you get a chance! <wink>.

AskBud...the original poster was indeed referring to the 1/16" Carving bit and the 1/8" Cutting bits that came with the machine (not the 1/16 cutting). As you already know, those are the ones that cannot be used with a split collar.

lovejoys
11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
I am with IKe this all smells a BIT fishy

Ike
11-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Michael I read it and I am through with this post I am going get in trouble! Sorry I will remove my post about using my old bits in my CT.

Thank you for your help.

Ike

mtylerfl
11-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Funny I have used the 1/16th several times with split collet without any problems...
Now hopefully that made clear I have used them from the QC and with the split collet with my CT and it worked fine. Again if they are carbine and should not be used fine, then other members should not use them.

Ike

Hi Ike,

Just a follow-up...you have been very fortunate that the carving bit has not slipped in the split collar. When I was working closely with the engineers at LHR regarding the CT Tips & Tricks article, no less than three of them warned about the use of the split collar on the carbide bits and wanted to be sure that customers understood why not. One of them told me that a measurable slip occurred, sometimes within seconds, of starting the machine/spindle if a split collar was used on a solid carbide bit.

Now, the original poster mentioned he was informed that a bit could "shatter". I have never heard that from a Tech myself. Only thing I was told was the slipping issue. Maybe that (shattering) is valid information and occurred after further testing at their headquarters, or maybe not. I do not know. In any case, it is taking a risk to try using the split collars on the solid carbide bits.

We all know you are a wonderful advocate for all CW users and have been a great help to me and hundreds of others! We appreciate all you do!

AskBud
11-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Here are the Cutting and Carving bits discussed in the above posts.
The attachmant includes the LHR wording (CarveTight Assembly - WARNING or acceptable usage).
AskBud40219

Ike
11-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi Ike,

Just a follow-up...you have been very fortunate that the carving bit has not slipped in the split collar. When I was working closely with the engineers at LHR regarding the CT Tips & Tricks article, no less than three of them warned about the use of the split collar on the carbide bits and wanted to be sure that customers understood why not. One of them told me that a measurable slip occurred (sometimes within seconds) of starting the machine/spindle if a split collar was used on a solid carbide bit.

Now, the original poster mentioned he was informed that a bit could "shatter". I have never heard that from a Tech myself. Only thing I was told was the slipping issue. Maybe that (shattering) is valid information and occurred after further testing at their headquarters, or maybe not. I do not know. In any case, it is taking a risk to try using the split collars on the solid carbide bits.

We all know you are a wonderful advocate for all CW users and have been a great help to me and hundreds of others! We appreciate all you do!
Thank you again I removed all my post so no other members follow my lead. I am done now I am very frustrated and do not want to post anything I will regret.

Ike

mtylerfl
11-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Thank you again I removed all my post so no other members follow my lead. I am done now I am very frustrated and do not want to post anything I will regret.

Ike

Hi Ike,

Please don't be frustrated. We all strive to share good/accurate information that will help our fellow carvers. Sometimes we make a mistake here and there. Hey, even "AL Who" has made a couple mistakes and nobody faults him for it! (I'm not even going to point out my own goof-ups - they speak for themselves!) Frankly, it just shows we're all learning as we go! Take it easy, my friend.