PDA

View Full Version : 1.175 and Double Sided project (Plant/Herb Stand)

Capt Bruce
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I need to create two Plant/Herb Stands using the great POM the plant herb stand for Christmas presents.
Am I correct to assume I'll have to power up an earlier version of the designer software to be able to cut the two sided ends of the plant stand?
I've considered just making a one sided version of the ends and making the dado cuts on my table saw to avoid having to switch software version. Any ideas or comments fellow Forumites?

mtylerfl
11-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Capt. Bruce,

The 1.175 version does have a problem with two-sided carves. You can use an earlier version if you want, or wait just a bit for the next version which should be released publicly very soon. Just to let you know, I ran the next POM project (for December 2010) using the upcoming version. Three MPC boards for the project...all three MPC's are two-sided carves, and it performed flawlessly! I couldn't have been more pleased.

Edit: I just looked at your photo of the Plant Stand...fantastic! I LOVE the top shelf decorative carve you added!

Capt Bruce
11-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Good morning Michael,

Thanks for confirming the current status of 1.175. It's good to know the software re-work is coming soon. I've been out on leave and then disaster duty so somewhat out of touch. Any hint if the new version might be out before Thanksgiving when I'll get some quality shop time if Mother Nature cooperates? Hint, hint?

I appreciate your comment on the shelf modification, as Jean wanted to be able to use this with a variety of flower pots and planter dishes. Design was adapted from a Tandy leather pattern I ran across years ago. I still need to add a small Lexan sheet to protect that surface from dirt and water (those other necessary ingredients).

I'm also considering the addition of 2 small open mortises on the inside bottom of the two sides to receive the cross bar ends and make the assembly just a little more tight during glue up. Again my compliments on the planter design as a project. You keep us inspired Sir.

Kenm810
11-20-2010, 08:01 AM
CarveWright Ver 1.176 Up Date

dbfletcher
11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Who's brave enuf to do this on a weekend?? Let us know how it works out! *smile*

Kenm810
11-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I did Load Ver 1.176 onto one of Pc's that I use with XL Pro Plus on it,
I've looked through a few of my older mpc. files to see if they open properly,
(No Problems yet)

Capt Bruce
11-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Who's brave enuf to do this on a weekend?? Let us know how it works out! *smile*

Well I'll see what it feels like out here on the end of the spear (or is that the bleeding edge of the technology?). I've loaded up 1.176 and we'll see how it does. No conflicts uploading double sided carve for the Plant Stand to the card. Now to see how it does going into the CW. More later as it predicts a 3 Hr 30 min carve at Best quality.

Capt Bruce
11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Happy to report the upload and carve seemed to go well. Thus far 1.176 is good to go. More tomorrow after second double sided carve.

fwharris
11-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Capt.,
Thanks for the update and being the guinea pig...LOL

mtylerfl
11-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I've been using 1.176 for awhile and haven't had any problems crop up. Lookin' good!

CarverJerry
11-21-2010, 08:12 AM
So Michael, is our next POM (Dec) going to require us to update to the latest designer prgram?

cj

mtylerfl
11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
So Michael, is our next POM (Dec) going to require us to update to the latest designer prgram?

cj

Hi CJ,

Yes, you will need to update. I actually designed and carved/cut the Dec 2010 POM using the 1.176. Usually, I design on a version or two older than the current one, but when they are prepared for distribution they are automatically "coded" for the most current Designer version for that month anyway. (If you wish, you can keep an older Designer version "alive" as a backup as mentioned a few times before. That's what I do.)

CarverJerry
11-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok Michael, guess we've no choice in the matter, I am running 2 different versions right now, guess running 3 wouldn't make much difference either. Have you given out any clues of what the next POM is going to be? If you did I missed it. Thanks

CJ

mtylerfl
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
... Have you given out any clues of what the next POM is going to be? If you did I missed it. Thanks

CJ

Hi CJ,

I haven't posted any photos (or clues) yet. The final finish is still drying. I will probably be able to take the final photos tomorrow or the next day, then post the preview after that.

CarverJerry
11-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Cool, can't wait. I just finished my last months today myself....