PDA

View Full Version : USB card reader

Maia
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry for posting in software when I guess this is actually hardware, but Iīm new to the forum and I canīt find a place to post this...
My Carve Wright USB card reader is not working properly. Itīs not recognized by any computer when plugged in, not PCīs nor MACs. Does anyone know what can be done?
It seems as it receives power as the little green light turns on but thatīs about it.
Thank you very much!!

atauer
11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I am guessing that you are wondering why it does not show as an external USB drive, like a thumbdrive or external hard drive would...

The Carvewright USB programmer is recognized as a plug and play device. It does not function the same way that a USB thumb drive, or external hard drive would. In order to access the memory card after you have plugged in the programmer, you will need to use the Carvewright software. To view items on the card, go to the "File" menu in the software, and select "Flash Manager". To upload/save projects to the card, go to the "File" menu, and select upload.

Again, the card does not act as a normal USB memory drive. It is a different functionality, so it is not going to show as an active disc drive. The computer recognizes it as a plug and play device, similar to a USB mouse or keyboard.

lynnfrwd
11-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Just to add to this...make sure you save your projects to your hard drive. That way, if you want to make changes or adjustments to it, you can pull it up and do so.

Once you upload a project to the flash or memory card, it is no longer in a format that the software understands, but converted to a language that the machine understands. It is basically, a one way transaction. The only time you take something from the memory card into the software is if you have used the scanning probe and are uploading the scan from the card into the software.

AskBud
11-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Just in case you are not used to organizing your files, you will find two AVI lessons in my "Download" link below.
Both begin with the word "Organize". It's just my suggestion as to a logical sequence of storing files.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Since this has turned into a class...here is another one of my tips:

Naming projects -
Name them first, something you will recognize (roosterkeys - for key hooks project with rooster pattern)
Then add to the end a D, N, B, or O to designate what quality setting it was uploaded (draft, normal, best or optimum)
Then add to the end of that the estimated amount of time it will take to carve (1h55 = estimated 1 hour 55 minutes to carve)

So your project would be named: roosterkeysB1H55

kool69sporty
11-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Lynn, thnx for the lesson! That's so logical, wish I had thought of it. Now it will be my standard naming practice. Good going. Joe