PDA

View Full Version : Need help on pattern.... PLEASE

fhoward2
11-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I was planning on making a sign for a friend of mine who has a brewery and I have his logo but it carves badly. I have forgotten how to use the pattern editor along with gimp to clean it up so it carves nicely. The present carve is very shallow and the letters were chipped. Thanks for any help....

cnsranch
11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Try this - I'd create the text with Designer, though - it will carve too sharply otherwise...

DickB
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Those letters are going to be a challenge, as there are parts that are quite thin. One thing that will help is to use the Draft tool. Select your pattern with the letters, then click on Draft and select Large. I'm not necessarily saying carve it this way, but turn this Draft on and off and see what happens in the rendering. A medium or large Draft might allow this to work. If you want to keep the exact text, I think it could be done. I would separate the text from the logo to work on them separately, as different techniques are needed in my opinion. Then I would join them later. Another option on the text would be to carve it recessed rather than raised. Also, the wings are going to have a similar problem as is.

Your pattern does have a lot of noise in it. Do you have a higher resolution image from which to work? The pigs and wings are great subjects to apply the easy 3D method I have been using.

fhoward2
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, people on here are such a great help. Unfortunately this is the only image.

TerryT
11-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Will this work?

Kenm810
11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
It is a bit fun to play around with

fhoward2
11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks again for all you help. I'm sure one of them should be fine. Thanks very much. How did you guys do it? I have gimp2 but forgot how to use it. I also thought there was a wand in editor but I couldn't find it. Thanks again....