PDA

View Full Version : Flexshaft popping out of Z truck

RabidRed
11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I have been having problems during carves of the flexshaft popping out of the Z truck. I replaced the flexshaft and the detent ball in the Z truck. Any suggestions?

brouv
11-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Do you have the flex all the way in ?
Make sure the square shaft is going into the truck all the way. If you have the ball, the clip to keep the ball and the flexshaft with the groove, everything should stay in place.
It should be hard to pull it out
Benoit

RabidRed
11-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Do you have the flex all the way in ?
Make sure the square shaft is going into the truck all the way. If you have the ball, the clip to keep the ball and the flexshaft with the groove, everything should stay in place.
It should be hard to pull it out
Benoit
I have the flexshaft in and seems to be tight. This last time it jumped, I pushed the collar around the detent ball so that it would put more pressure on the ball. So far so good but this is not a long term fix that I feel comfortable with.

cnsranch
11-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Try this - slide the collar around until the opening exposes the detent ball (watch that the ball doesn't fall out) - then push the shaft in as far as you can, and while holding it in, slide the collar around. Something tells me the shaft isn't in far enough - it shouldn't "jump".

RabidRed
11-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Try this - slide the collar around until the opening exposes the detent ball (watch that the ball doesn't fall out) - then push the shaft in as far as you can, and while holding it in, slide the collar around. Something tells me the shaft isn't in far enough - it shouldn't "jump".
In normal operation should the collar have the detent ball showing?

cnsranch
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
In normal operation should the collar have the detent ball showing?

No, and if it is, that's why it's popping out.

Digitalwoodshop
11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Remove the 2 screws and turn the top hat 180 degrees.... End of problem.

AL

RabidRed
11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
No, and if it is, that's why it's popping out.

Hope you are right. I have been running this machine for a long time with the collar turned to the opening showing the ball.

RabidRed
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Remove the 2 screws and turn the top hat 180 degrees.... End of problem.

AL
This would put the detent to the back of the Z track??

Digitalwoodshop
11-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think it would make a difference.... Could be wrong.... I had a worn flex and did it until I replaced it.... worked.

But normally it is in the front....

AL

doublejz
03-30-2013, 02:00 PM
I know this is an old thread but anyone know what size the detent ball in the Z truck is? Mine decided to hit the floor and hid.

fwharris
03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
not sure of the size but some have done the same thing. They used just a normal BB as a replacement..

bergerud
03-30-2013, 02:19 PM
The good news is that it is the same size as the balls in the old QC, 4.5 mm or the same size as a BB (0.177").

fwharris
03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
The good news is that it is the same size as the balls in the old QC, 4.5 mm or the same size as a BB (0.177").

Thanks for the info.. some new life for the old QC.... :-P