PDA

View Full Version : Flex shaft lube

undrtkr
11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Anyone have experience with Crane Cams Assembly lube? I just bought some and want to know the correct procedure for applying. Do you wipe it off after pressing it into the core?
Thanks
Tom

fwharris
11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Anyone have experience with Crane Cams Assembly lube? I just bought some and want to know the correct procedure for applying. Do you wipe it off after pressing it into the core?
Thanks
Tom

Tom,
With plastic/latex gloves on, I just get some on my fingers and work it into the core real good. I flex/bend the core as I work it in. You do not need a lot at one time and I tend to work the most into the middle third of the core. I do not wipe the core down after applying the lube.

cnsranch
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Best investment you'll ever make.

I've been using it since the beginning, have to re-do/add lube about every 100 hours.

Pull the flexshaft from the machine, remove the metal shaft and the spring (be careful with the spring) from the housing. Using a clean cloth, rub the metal shaft dry, if you have a rifle/shotgun cleaning kit, do the same to the inside of the rubber housing.

Don't worry about cleaning the spring.

Use plastic gloves - the CC gets into everything, including fingerprints. Squeeze a dab about the size of your thumbnail between your thumb and forefinger, take the metal shaft by its end in the other hand, and rub the CC into the shaft, sliding your hand up and down. It does not have to be put on thick - just enough to sort of "fill in" the ridges of the shaft.

Make sure you take some cotton swabs and clean out the top hat.

Put it all back together, and you're done.

My flexshaft stays at around 90 degrees, even during a 15 hour carve. The CC is amazing stuff.

(Thanks, ChrisAlb, wherever you are.)

undrtkr
11-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Guy's! My Flex Shaft has been running about 103 close to the carvetight spindle. I think a lot of the heat is radiating from the spindle, but I want to be sure.
Thanks again,
Tom

fwharris
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Best investment you'll ever make.

I've been using it since the beginning, have to re-do/add lube about every 100 hours.

Pull the flexshaft from the machine, remove the metal shaft and the spring (be careful with the spring) from the housing. Using a clean cloth, rub the metal shaft dry, if you have a rifle/shotgun cleaning kit, do the same to the inside of the rubber housing.

Don't worry about cleaning the spring.

Use plastic gloves - the CC gets into everything, including fingerprints. Squeeze a dab about the size of your thumbnail between your thumb and forefinger, take the metal shaft by its end in the other hand, and rub the CC into the shaft, sliding your hand up and down. It does not have to be put on thick - just enough to sort of "fill in" the ridges of the shaft.

Make sure you take some cotton swabs and clean out the top hat.

Put it all back together, and you're done.

My flexshaft stays at around 90 degrees, even during a 15 hour carve. The CC is amazing stuff.

(Thanks, ChrisAlb, wherever you are.)

Jerry,

I and I bet a bunch of other sure miss Chris not being here with us. I traded PMs with him a couple of months ago, he had hit some hard times and was trying to get a truck driving job. Hope he is doing well now!