PDA

View Full Version : Cutout Letter in 1.5"

brouv
11-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Okay guys,
I have a challenge and I need your help to see how I can do it.
I'm trying to make a personnalize stool with my son first name in it.
I know how to do it with a 1" piece but not with a 1.5" (because of the machine and tool limitation)
Concept : Take a 2x10 and cut the letter, glue a piece of wood under, put 4 legs. done
My thought was to make the letter and cut them from both side but I stopped here because I don't know how I can avoid having the letter flying inside the machine without tabs
I looked at the technique regarding placing some circle to create "manual" tabs but I cannot do that because I need the 2 pieces (letter and frame) to be intact.

Can somebody help me ?
Unfortunatly, I don't have the mpc because it's on a different computer.

Thanks
Benoit

alan.galbraith
11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
This might two different carves.

1st to basically give your cutout letters
edit your text
Make sure your depth is enough
outline pattern
click on cutout
select your max cut depth (whatever you feel comfortable with)
flip cutout
save this mpc

do not close this mpc

2nd to carve the remainder.

select each letter and flip and hide cutout until you have the blank area for the letters

give this a try, I didn't carve it but it looks like it would work

Hopefully I didn't miss any steps

alan.galbraith
11-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I did miss one.

Since this is a cutout, you will have to add a board on the back of the first.

brouv
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I was ok with that but how do I make sure the letter don't fly in the machine because I won't have any tabs to retain the letters ?

alan.galbraith
11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
You'll have to add the tabs to each letter. That's why there are two carves. sand the tabs off the letters once the carve is completed.

If you're not comfortable with doing this all in one swoop. Do a test on cutout and tabs.

alan.galbraith
11-18-2010, 09:52 AM
check this out39987

brouv
11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Alan
I will have to try because I cannot see it right now in my head.
So to summarize, do the first one up to .9 (for example). Make a new mpc with the flip in the back and create the .6 remaining with tabs
BTW, I cannot see your attachment the link is broken

Benoit

alan.galbraith
11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I new at adding pictures.

brouv
11-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm sure I'm missing something but since my board is thicker than 1", I cannot use the cutout option therefore I cannot have the tabs

Benoit

AskBud
11-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm sure I'm missing something but since my board is thicker than 1", I cannot use the cutout option therefore I cannot have the tabs

Benoit
Two MPCs!
So to summarize, do the first one (MPC) up to .9 (for example). Make a new mpc with the flip in the back and create the .6 remaining

brouv
11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
ok but if I do that when I do the second mpc with the 0.6 (since I already have the 0.9 releave behind), the letters will not be held by anything right ?
So they will break the tool

Benoit

I know I'm being difficult but I want to make sure I do not break something (the machine or my skull)

gwhiz
11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I think that you'll need to select a bit and depth instead of using the cutout tool. Designer won't let you use the cutout with stock thicker than an inch. You can manually create tabs with carve regions--I think. Let me play a bit...

Failing that, you could run the project on a carrier board and use double side tape to stick the back side down to the carrier board.

Old Salt
11-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Why not just use outline for letters and just paint inside lines.

fwharris
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Do and outline of the letters and cut them out on the scroll saw...

brouv
11-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Ok so new I have my 2 mpc (one cut to 0.6 and the other one to 0.9)
I still cannot get the tab

Failing that, you could run the project on a carrier board and use double side tape to stick the back side down to the carrier board.
Do you think I can use some masking tape on both side during the second carve to keep the letter in place ? Is that going to hold the letter ?

MPC :
40029 40030

dbfletcher
11-19-2010, 12:13 PM
What is your board thickness for each mpc? If you set the board thickness to the same depth as the side you want tabs, the machine will just think your board is on a sled... ie.. actual board is 1.5" thick.. your second mpc has the board set to .6 and you used the cutout tool on that mpc. I think it will ask you to select between board or project depth when you run thru setup. If you select project it will create the tabs. Also, when using the cutout tool, tabs are never shown in Designer, but rest assured the number of tabs you specify in the cutout tool will be created.

brouv
11-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok now that make sense.
I didn't know you could do that.
Will give a try.
Thanks again and sorry for not getting it sooner
Benoit

brouv
08-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Guys
I'm coming back with my project.
So I have my 2 files done and no issue
I cannot get the 2 cut align on the board.
when the machine ask me where to cut. Should I align to center, end or jog to make sure they are both on top of each other?
Thanks

mtylerfl
08-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Hello,

If I were doing this, I would simply cut the letters out TWICE on 3/4" stock, then glue them together to achieve the 1.5" thickness. No hassle or complications and you could use the regular Cut Path feature.

brouv
08-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Good point
But if I wanted to do it that way, which option should I use ?

mtylerfl
08-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Good point
But if I wanted to do it that way, which option should I use ?

Hi,

Just type your text of choice onto the board, assign a Cut Path to the outlines (set your tab height, frequency, etc. as normal). Pretty easy, but if you have questions, please let us know. Generally, for letter cutouts, you want to use BOLD text that has enough "meat" to it that it will be substantial enough in appearance to look nice as well as survive the cut out process.

brouv
08-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks again Michael,
I have no issue with the mpc nor the carving. I know I'm looking for the hard way. I did one last night using the 2 mpc concept (one with the flip vertically) and they didn't lined up. I don't know which choice to pick :
Center On Board, Jog To Position, or Place On Corner

I took place on Corner and that didn't go well. Sorry for the repeated questions

Dan-Woodman
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
There is going to be a lot of slop in your letters ( 1/8" in both directions) unless you use one board to cut out the letters and anothers to cut out the outline. Cut the outline with a 1/16" inset, and the letters with a 1/16" outside the line.
Much easier on a scrollsaw. Another idea would be to plane your 1-1/2" wood down to .900.
later Daniel

brouv
08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
I will post my latest mpc tonight but right now the only question I have is about the option to pick on the machine when I'm prompt with Center On Board, Jog To Position, or Place On Corner in order to have the 2 mpc lined up when I flip the board
Thanks

btw : I'm ok for the 1/8" on each side. Easier to put the letters ;-)

mtylerfl
08-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I will post my latest mpc tonight but right now the only question I have is about the option to pick on the machine when I'm prompt with Center On Board, Jog To Position, or Place On Corner in order to have the 2 mpc lined up when I flip the board
Thanks

btw : I'm ok for the 1/8" on each side. Easier to put the letters ;-)

Hi,

I recommend choosing "Center". That's how I layout all my monthly projects and outline in the project instructions. Keeps things nice-n-simple and it seems everyone can easily visualize what "Center" is!

brouv
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks michael
I will try tonight
will keep you posted