PDA

View Full Version : Latest sign ...

Ron Smith
12-17-2006, 10:04 AM
My neighbor's parents were visiting this weekend, and came over while I was carving a sign for another customer. The lady said she had been wanting a sign for their farm for a long time and asked if I could do one for her. I told her I would be glad to, and agreed on a price. Here is the finished sign. I cut it out, routed the edges, painted it, finish sanded and sealed it with Marine varnish, then drilled and inserted eyes to hang it, all on Saturday. I let it dry overnight and presented it to her first thing this morning so she could take it with her. She was immensly pleased and said she was going to tell her friends, so I may be able to get some more business.

Jimmygee
12-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Ron, I am having problems as to how much to charge for signs such as the one you displayed. I understand wood types, finishes etc. make a difference, but was wondering if you would pass along your agreed price with her.
Thanks

Kurtsara
12-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Ron, I am having problems as to how much to charge for signs such as the one you displayed. I understand wood types, finishes etc. make a difference, but was wondering if you would pass along your agreed price with her.
Thanks

I am wondering the same thing.

Ron Smith
12-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks

I charge for all of the materials, in this case a 12" X 24" piece of red oak, paint, brushes, hardware and spar varnish, about $20. I then charge a standard fee of $15.00 per hour for art work, carving, routing edges, sanding and finishing. With carving, I have 1.25 hours and I have almost 3 hours finishing both sides. That's $85.00 total and we agreed upon $75. It's not a complicated sign and was easy to finish. Pictures and increased carving time will jack the price up. I've already paid for the machine with a few large sign jobs, so these are pocket money and new toys. I explained to her it was priced at the "neighbor rates" and any others would be at the normal charge. She loved it and says she'll see if she can get her neighbors in WV to order some. Price them at what you feel they are worth, and don't sell yourself short. People will pay the price for good work, and repeat business.