PDA

View Full Version : The Carvewright Ghost

CarverJerry
11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
My wife is into this show "Taps", ya know the ghost hunters. Well for Christmas last year I got her one of those EMF meters, (electro magnetic Field). Well tonight while carving this months POM which in the optimal mode it takes quite a while. So we were watching that show and the wife got her EMF meter out and it went crazy...we know we have orb's in our house but usually the EMF meter only has a base line of one maybe 2 green lights. Tonight we got 4 lights, all in the living room....she just about freaked out. My CW runs in an old fruit cellar which is under the front door's porch (outside area, but still in the basement) When I walked outside on the porch all 5 lights went crazy....

Well I went downstairs and paused the CW & 1.5hp vacuum, when I came back up to see what the lights looked like they were all out, everything back to normal and no ghost's, darn I was ready to believe in them now.

The bottom line here is our machine gives off a lot of EMF energy....more than my hot tub or any thing else in my house besides the microwave....so if you're into these ghost's and things don't look for them when your machine is up and running...Wow what a night for the wife.....:rolleyes:

CarverJerry

TerryT
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Electro magnetism is how the cut motor operates. The X,Y and Z motors are also electomagnetically operated. Electromagnetic fields are swarming all over the Carvewright. Maybe that is why some folks have more problems than others.. it's haunted!! LOL

CarverJerry
11-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Ok, so in other words don't keep any old media storage things like old floppies around the CW as it will erase them or make them not useable?! Like my old caveman computer and box of disc's.

CJ

TerryT
11-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Look here
http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39618&d=1288546909

I borrowed one of Al's pictures. It shows the armature of the cut motor. On the left side are the commutators. The brushes make contact with and supply power to a couple of these at a time as the armature spins. This power charging though the coils of wire create an electromagnetic field. On electric motors the armature (or rotor) has one electromagnetic field with a given polarity. It opposes the magnetic field in a stator, which may be created by permanent magnets or another electromagnet. They push away from each other (because of opposing polarity) and cause the motor shaft to spin.

I don't really know what the effect is on your computer media. I haven't ever notice any but then I don't keep any media on my carvewright.

This effect is the same for your electric shaver, can opener, ceiling fan, computer printer and everything else that has an electric motor, not just the carvewright.
Also, passing one emf through another will create an electric charge. That is how generators work.
I suspect that to catch a ghost you would be looking for an EMF field strength that is a little higher than the usual stuff.

If you want to visualize an EMF, put a magnet on the screen of an older color TV or computer monitor that has a picture tube. It's cool.... NO DON"T DO THAT! Sorry, the devil made me say that. If you do it will cause permanent discoloration on the screen. You will need a professional degausser. With a degaussing coil (another high EMF device). I know TMI!

Digitalwoodshop
11-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Having worked at a picture tube plant for 4 years.... Yes the magnet will make the picture go nuts.... Every time you turn on a picture tube TV you hear a buzz and vibration and that is the TV De magnetize or De Gauser.... So a magnet would mess up the picture but a few on offs would fix it....

Now for EMF.....

Terry is on the right track..... The cut motor..... Yes, the fields of the Rotor and generate EMF as it is expanding and collapsing magnetic fields. If anyone ever looked at a electronic circuit with DC Relays on the output, you will normally see diodes soldered between the 2 contacts of the coil. They will be placed reverse bias as with a positive voltage on the coil they will not conduct. If they did, then it would pass the voltage and not let the coil operate. The reason they put the diodes on the coil is that while the relay is operating it does so by creating a magnetic field that pulls the contacts together. When the power is removed, the collapsing magnetic field that was formerly holding the contacts together collapse upon itself and passes through itself. It expands again slightly and this can cause the relay to operate again for a split second.... Otherwise known as relay "Hopping Contacts". The Diode comes into play as the collapsing field produces a slight voltages of the opposite polarity that the Diode Shorts out.... Preventing hopping contacts.... A common repair in my Navy days.... Go to a ship and they have mode control problems that they don't understand. I pull out the drawer of Relays and with the power off use a device called a Huntron Tracker to look at each diode on a rack of 20 plus relays.... I will find bad diodes and tell the tech to replace the diodes and let me know... 9 times out of 10 it fixes the problem..... http://www.huntron.com/products/diagnostics.htm

My very first day at Sony I was assigned to the 32 inch CRT area for training with a Tech. It was 7 AM and he was stressed... The Line was stopped.... A big demagnetize had quit.... He was Stressed.... He had called for the Engineer's for help.... Every tube needed to go thought this 4 Thousand Volt DC de magnetizer. The Trigger was a Glass Enclosed relay..... a DC Relay..... He ran off to check something and I went in and tested the diode on the relay and it was shorted..... Diodes either go bad and open like a fuse or SHORT like this did.... He came back and I told him it was bad.... He didn't believe me.... I said Cut the diode... for 1 test..... It will fire then the contacts will HOP... and it DID..... He ran off to the Parts Cage got the part... Installed it.... Got the line running..... At 8 AM a Heard of Engineers come running with O' Scopes and meters and a Gaggle of Tech's.... The first thing they said.... YOU CAN'T run the line in BYPASS MODE...... Then they heard the THUMP of 4 Thousand Volts and 4 foot in diameter coils..... Who fixed it? "The New guy.... a Retired Navy Chief".... They were happy and dissapointed..... I had stolen there THUNDER...... Try as I may to get a job working in that department and never got in..... Did go to the Calibration Lab 2 years later for 2 years.... I could write a book on the things I did..... Got employee of the month twice for my fixes no one else could fix.... Yes.... The older I get the BETTER I WAS...... Employee of the month came with a $200.00 Gift Certificate to the Sony Store.... Woooo Hooooo....

So like I said.... Terry is right..... It's all the magnetic fields.... And they can be carried on your house wires as noise....

Then there is the SPARKING Brushes of the Commutator in the Cut Motor..... Turn on a AM Radio when you turn on your CW.... The first Trans Atlantic Transmitter was a SPARK GAP Transmitter.... A Rotating spark gap like your Spark Plug Rotor in your car that has Voice transmitted with the spark gap..... The Carbon Brushes produce SPARKS as it rotates.... This can be seen better by looking at the brushes in you router, drill or vacuum cleaner.... The Sparks produce a Wide Band Electronic Noise..... Picked up by the EMF Meter......

At the Picture Tube Plant, each inspection station that light up the picture tube had a Hem Hold Coil around it with 3 power supplies. This made the metal building we were in.... At least at the inspection station a Magnetic Nutral.... This is so when you turn on the TV in the Wooden House the picture would be normal.... If the Steel beams of the plant effected alignment of the tube then at the customers home it would be off.... At least until you turned it on and off as few times.... We Sold Tubes for Australia.... so the Hem Hold Coils were setup for Australia and up side down within the test station.....

WOW.... What a Rant..... Yes, there are many things that produce EMF......

Take a neon bulb and wrap the leads around a CB Radio Antenna and transmitt.... The Neon bulb will GLOW.....

Take a 4 or 6 foot Florescent Bulb and walk under a BIG Power Line.... The Monster ones with many wires... From the ground the bulb will glow in your hand......

In the mid 80's I visited a Island in the Caribbean that had a Religious Short Wave Station on it... The Navy Guys toured it and at night we saw a 12 inch round Florescent Light bulb hanging over a transmission line. It was still light and as it got dark the station sent power to that antenna field and the bulb glowed...... No wires connected to it.... The transmission line went thought the round bulb.... The energy of transmission caused the bulb to glow.

So we have EMF all around us....

AL

CarverJerry
11-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah with my dad being a ham radio operator I know about the florscent tube trick, which was realy cool to show my buddies when I was a kid. But Al, you said something about the tube being made for Australia and being upside down?????? You mean they were made that way because of them going to the southen side of the equator?, now is that a stupid question or what.........

CJ

Smoken D
11-16-2010, 06:26 PM
For you'all the short version for AL is;

Dang machine is HAUNTED PERIOD!:)