PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother Scanning Problem/Question

cnsranch
11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I've had the probe stop short on two different scans. First time I thought it was Operator Error (usually is with me), and forgot about it.

This time, 12 hour scan, I spent 30 minutes getting it right - I've even got a 1/2" grid throughout the sled. Darned thing "finished" about 3/4" from where it was supposed to, leaving about 1/2" of the scan short.

Any ideas? No real way to test if you've got your scan area entered right, so you're screwed if this happens.

This time, I'm convinced it wasn't Operator related.

BTW, pretty big scan, 2.86 Meg finished. But, the machine let the scan go after checking available area on the card, etc. (Card now shows 3.822 Megs available, with the scan on it, and a few small projects).

mtylerfl
11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Jerry,

Sorry to hear about the stopping just short of your scan! Do you recall what the LCD displayed (if anything)?

In your opinion, do you think there is any chance that a power surge, or brown-out, or shared circuit between the CW and another 'appliance' (shop vac, table saw, a/c or heater, freezer, refer, etc.) could have caused the glitch? My thinking is that the scan should have completed for you since you still seem to have plenty of room on the card. I would have to check with LHR to find out if there is any "physical size limitation" despite having room on the card (as far as I know, there isn't). The longest scan I've ever done took a little over 11 hours.

If you have not removed the object, try resuming the scan from where you left off (leave a little overlap from there so you're sure you have covered the entire remaining area), using the exact same "spacer" you used originally when setting up for the original scan. That way you could "stitch" together the two scans in a graphics program, provided the exact heights are the same between the two scans. Another possibility if you have the STL Importer and the Pattern Editor...the PE allows you to export scans as STL (The STL Importer when paired with the Pattern Editor unlocks the STL Export feature). You could email me the two STL's and I could import them into Aspire to make sure the two scan heights match and stitch together precisely. Trying to avoid you having to start all over again and risking disappointment if the scan stalls again after another 12 hours! Please let me know if I can help.

TIMCOSBY
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
what happened was after you set the corners and started the scan the sled slipped a little here and there on the brass roller so it thought it was at the end of the scan. rescan the part it didnt get plus a bout two inches of overlap then put then together in a graphics program. happened to me a couple times.

cnsranch
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
what happened was after you set the corners and started the scan the sled slipped a little here and there

Nope - if the sled had slipped during the scan, the scan would have been a mess at that particular point.

TIMCOSBY
11-18-2010, 10:22 PM
it will do it so minutley spread out over the entire length of travel that you wont be able to see it like you would if it did it in only one spot. especially if it was a heavy sled.

RMarkey
11-19-2010, 07:55 AM
There's no size limitation - the limitation is based on the amount of free memory on the card - since it knows the dimensions when you set the corners.

Speaking of the corners, I think it shows you the dimensions when you select them - write them down so you can compare them to the final scan output. I am curious if it was a gradual slip or something else.

AskBud
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I've had the probe stop short on two different scans. First time I thought it was Operator Error (usually is with me), and forgot about it.

This time, 12 hour scan, I spent 30 minutes getting it right - I've even got a 1/2" grid throughout the sled. Darned thing "finished" about 3/4" from where it was supposed to, leaving about 1/2" of the scan short.

Any ideas? No real way to test if you've got your scan area entered right, so you're screwed if this happens.

This time, I'm convinced it wasn't Operator related.

BTW, pretty big scan, 2.86 Meg finished. But, the machine let the scan go after checking available area on the card, etc. (Card now shows 3.822 Megs available, with the scan on it, and a few small projects).
What was the message, when the scanning ended?
Was the sled always under the rollers (dumb, I know)?
AskBud

cnsranch
11-19-2010, 12:50 PM
What was the message, when the scanning ended?

Don't remember - my bad.
Was the sled always under the rollers (dumb, I know)?
AskBud[/QUOTE]

Yep.

AskBud
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I had an angel, "Angel-AB-003", that had several voids/holes where I had to place a false bottom in several areas due to the probe getting caught in the hole and aborting. It doesn't take a lot of resistance, on the upward movement to abort the scan.

I now look at my models to catch any similar potential, prior to lining up the scan.
I've circled the voids so you can better see the areas which caused my re-scans. It took me 3 scan to understand the full scope of my problem. Thankfully, it was not a 12 hour scan!

My false bottom is fairly easy to edit out as I finish the acceptance of my final pattern for storage/sale.
AskBud