PDA

View Full Version : Y axis issues

dover-sherborn
11-13-2010, 02:09 PM
So Ive been searching this forum for over 3 years now, being updated on issues and fixes and can not thank you guys enough for all the support you didnt even know you were giving. I have two machines, one that belongs to the school I teach at, and one of my own that is used for student projects more than my own.

Recently my y axis was jerking back and forth when attempting to get to the bit plate. I read about bearings going bad, and sure enough mine were shot. I replaced them, replaced the gear as the old one was worn. At this time replaced the belts, the flex shaft, lubed the entire machine, replaced the rpm sensor and magnet retainer, and also the board sensor. This was a little expensive as the school does not pay for these repairs. Since reassmebly I continue to have issues, the y axis moves smooth when powered off, a little tough with power on, but will home itself fine, asks about staying under rollers, and then y axis error every time. All the rails are clear, the bearings are cleaned, nothing visable in the way of the truck, not sure what else could be wrong. Would love input, could the y axis motor be bad?

again thanks for all the past help and thanks for reading this lengthy post

Nick

henry1
11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
So Ive been searching this forum for over 3 years now, being updated on issues and fixes and can not thank you guys enough for all the support you didnt even know you were giving. I have two machines, one that belongs to the school I teach at, and one of my own that is used for student projects more than my own.

Recently my y axis was jerking back and forth when attempting to get to the bit plate. I read about bearings going bad, and sure enough mine were shot. I replaced them, replaced the gear as the old one was worn. At this time replaced the belts, the flex shaft, lubed the entire machine, replaced the rpm sensor and magnet retainer, and also the board sensor. This was a little expensive as the school does not pay for these repairs. Since reassmebly I continue to have issues, the y axis moves smooth when powered off, a little tough with power on, but will home itself fine, asks about staying under rollers, and then y axis error every time. All the rails are clear, the bearings are cleaned, nothing visable in the way of the truck, not sure what else could be wrong. Would love input, could the y axis motor be bad?

again thanks for all the past help and thanks for reading this lengthy post

Nick
you can go here and read the error
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16747-Y-axis-stall-error-299&highlight=axis+error

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I had the jerking AFTER I replaced my bearings.... You most likely meshed the big plastic gear and the motor shaft TOO Tight... It is held by the 2 screws..... I loosened my gear meshing and it works fine now.

Good Job with the Kids,

AL

dover-sherborn
11-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Al,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to loosen and tighten the gear box and how tight the gears mesh. I have done it so they are tight, loose, and in between. It does not seem to be the issue, however I will try again today.

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Next is try to scrub the bottom of the Y Rails with a small wire brush and alcohol. Crushed sawdust on the sides of the rails builds up... Then clean the Y rollers 1/8 if a turn at a time.

The reason it reverses is the current builds up and it reveres. Also remove the cover on your Y Encoder... This is what I found in MY encoder....

AL

dover-sherborn
11-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Al,

I have done both already. The rails are spotless and the encoder has been cleaned out. I have tried the gears at different degrees of tight and still nothing. Again the issue happens after homing and right after the option of stay under rollers. No issues moving fro bit plate to home. Any other advice would be great

Nick

Digitalwoodshop
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Look at the Belt for wood chips in the teeth..... You could have a frozen Y roller bearing.... It slides or is dragged in one direction..... then needs to roll in the other direction and can't.

And check the lower rails.... the FLAT shoulder for a build up of sawdust... Not the rail but the flat machine area... I had that..... What happens is the Flat of the Rollers hits it.....not the round of the roller...

Could be a bad Y motor too....

AL