PDA

View Full Version : Y axis stall error 299

Woodnutt
11-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I have posted. I put on the rock chuck last week and did a 5"x7" carve in oak then cleaned and lubed. Went to carve a 11"x16" carve that is actually 4 of the small carve. The carve is a recessed 0.250 and the jerky motion starts when the cutter gets to full depth of the rectangle recess about 5 mins into the carve.

Has less than 50 hrs on it, I have checked the y drive gears and encoder, belt tension and condition, bearings and shaft on large gear. Moves smoothly by hand then runs smoothly down the feathered edge of the recess until it hits full depth then the jerking starts. Stop the carve and the assembly is binding, this last time I needed a break so turned it off and checked back an hour or so later and moves smooth by hand again.

Any help is appreciated,
James

AskBud
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I have posted. I put on the rock chuck last week and did a 5"x7" carve in oak then cleaned and lubed. Went to carve a 11"x16" carve that is actually 4 of the small carve. The carve is a recessed 0.250 and the jerky motion starts when the cutter gets to full depth of the rectangle recess about 5 mins into the carve.

Has less than 50 hrs on it, I have checked the y drive gears and encoder, belt tension and condition, bearings and shaft on large gear. Moves smoothly by hand then runs smoothly down the feathered edge of the recess until it hits full depth then the jerking starts. Stop the carve and the assembly is binding, this last time I needed a break so turned it off and checked back an hour or so later and moves smooth by hand again.

Any help is appreciated,
James

Things to check/test.
1) Carving bit not properly placed in the Rock chuck (avoid the flat and tighten well).
2) Bit may be dull (try a new one).
3) Oak may be extra hard (try poplar as a test).
4) If you get the same jerking after all the above, it may be time to reposition the truck, as it may have gotten out of kilter during the mounting of the Rock.
AskBud

Woodnutt
11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I am ordering new bits now but the jerky feel is there even after machine power is cut for a few minutes then goes away, could it be something with the motor/armatures? All of the bearings are moving and I have cleaned and lubed several times.

Woodnutt
11-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Dull bit was the problem, I guess I better keep a few on hand and track the hours of them.

Thanks for the response Askbud.

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2010, 01:48 PM
If you are talking about pushing the Y or Z just after you turn the power off.... The Capacitors need to discharge in the Motor Drive Circuit then it will push smooth. The power in the servos is what holds them in place.

I do .27 depth of cut and don't worry about snapping a $40.00 bit.

AL

Woodnutt
11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Al,

Yeah I figured that about the caps after I posted. I'm not worried about snapping that bit but I have snapped the 1/8.

James