PDA

View Full Version : Measure Board Mystery

JimStaley
11-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I have prepared a board 22" x 13 1/2". When I measure it using the Carvewright Measure, 17 measures 13.45 x 22 and change. When I start a project, it measures the same in width, but measures 12.000 in length. I have tried this almost a dozen times with the same result. I have turned off the unit and started fresh several times. I have removed and replaced the board several times. It always measures 22 using the Measure function and 12 using the Project. After the first instance, I ran a piece of masking tape lengthwise down the center line with the same results. I would appreciate any help in solving the mystery. As it is, I cannot carve my project.

Icutone2
11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Had this happen before also. I put masking tape on the underside of the board at the control side and on the top of the ends. This lets the sensor see the change in the color of the wood and also gives the brass roller a good serfice to track on. Worked for me hope it works for you too.
Lee

fwharris
11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I have prepared a board 22" x 13 1/2". When I measure it using the Carvewright Measure, 17 measures 13.45 x 22 and change. When I start a project, it measures the same in width, but measures 12.000 in length. I have tried this almost a dozen times with the same result. I have turned off the unit and started fresh several times. I have removed and replaced the board several times. It always measures 22 using the Measure function and 12 using the Project. After the first instance, I ran a piece of masking tape lengthwise down the center line with the same results. I would appreciate any help in solving the mystery. As it is, I cannot carve my project.

Jim,
when you are doing your project, are you telling the machine to stay under the rollers? What is your design board size?

Digitalwoodshop
11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
It is all about the brass roller... The brass roller is the device making the measurements... If it is off then it is all about the brass roller... You MUST use masking tape on the Brass roller track on the bottom of the board and place 4 strips under the board too for gripping to the sand paper belt.

I am sure you already understand the 7 inch rule of wood.... If you place a 22 inch long board in the machine and the designer board is 22 inches long and you tell the machine to stay under the rollers it will "INVENT" some wood.... 7 inches to be exact to STAY UNDER THE ROLLERS.... So it will then scale your project... leaving you with a 15 inch board in the machine in the eyes of the machine.... If the number is 9 inches like you posted then you have brass roller problems too....

I would check the head level, a un level head can cause the board to loose contact with the brass roller.

AL

JimStaley
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks.

The design board is 12 x 12. If it is the brass roller, why does it ALWAYS measure correctly using thye Measure function and ALWAYS measure 12.000 using the Project. By the way, I tried both Under the roller setting and Not under the roller setting. No difference. When I get to the shop, I will try the tape, but it makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain difference metween measuring with Measure and with project. I also tried a different project. Same result.

fwharris
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks.

The design board is 12 x 12. If it is the brass roller, why does it ALWAYS measure correctly using thye Measure function and ALWAYS measure 12.000 using the Project. By the way, I tried both Under the roller setting and Not under the roller setting. No difference. When I get to the shop, I will try the tape, but it makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain difference metween measuring with Measure and with project. I also tried a different project. Same result.

When you get the message about the length do you get 2 number ( 17 / 12) and also "keep original size" ? If so the machine is saying you board is bigger and wants to know if you want to carve the original size. If you press the down arrow it gives you other choices..

JimStaley
11-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I get two numbers and it asks me if I want to scale it. That indicates that it thiks that it is 12 long insteaed of 22. Somehow, it is giving me the designer board length instead of the true board length.

JimStaley
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I tested the tape idea and same result. I knew it couldn't be the roller because it reads the length accurately with the Measure function. More significantly, I confirmed that it is reporting the Designer board length. I conformed thia by selecting a project with a length of 11.5 instead of 12. This time, it reported a lengtyh of 11.500 instead of 12.000. I never had this problem until I upgraded the flash card from 1.153.07880 to 1.175.08804 Coincidence?