PDA

View Full Version : looking for 1/8" cutting bit w/adapter for a QC

myshop1044
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I broke another cutting bit, this is the first time in a long time I tried cutting out a pattern,
I went 1/4 down in a 3/4 board ( MDF) and on the second pass it snapped off.
If anybody has some old cutting bits for sale, drop me a line and we can do some business.

Myshop
myshop1044@yahoo.com

CarverJerry
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry I can't help you out but you know that these are just regular end mills right? What comes with the machine is a carbide, 4 flute, center cutting with 1" of flute and the over all length is 2 1/2" I've seen these on ebay for under $10 and you can even get them coated which will make them last a little longer, that is if ya don't break them.
A lot of times what happens is the flutes will get clogged causing it to break, another reason I try and vent my cut motor back into my machine, especially if I'm cutting something out. My next thing is going to be a higher pressure line right down on to the cutting bit, we do this a lot in the machine shops if coolant isn't possible, like on a bridgeport mill.

CJ

dbfletcher
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
CJ,

If you search the forums, several people did this way back in early 2007. I think most have abandoned that approach as the top mounted dust collectors did a far better job than the downdraft/air blast at the bit setups.

Digitalwoodshop
11-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a bunch of bit holders, new in wrapper.... $5.00 each free shipping.... How many do you want? No extra bits... sorry...

QC's too....

AL

myshop1044
11-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks CarverJerry for the info, where on EBay do I look for these bits , this might be the route to go. You are right about the dust clog up in the cutting route, I normaly blow out the groove, but this time I walked off to do something else then it happen.

Myshop

Perry

CarverJerry
11-09-2010, 07:10 AM
type in 1/8" end mills in the ebay search bar. This is what I got when I did.... http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F8+end+mill&_sacat=See-All-Categories know the length of fllutes you want, # of flutes and over all length. Be sure it is carbide as this will last longer as far as staying sharp longer.

CJ