PDA

View Full Version : Something to Mess Around With......

cnsranch
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I got to thinking (dangerous) about all the really cool stencils you can find on the 'net that you can use to carve some pretty intricate pumpkins this time of year. You've all seen them - from simple to intricate.

Cool thing is that they're made so that you only carve away certain parts of the pumpkin - put a light behind it, and you got a really cool pic.

So, why not use 'em in the CW?

(You probably have this figured out already, but I have to try to contribute every so often).

Find a stencil on the 'net, copy it to your clipboard, bring it into PE (import the image via the clipboard), eliminate all the background parts with the Magic Wand, leaving only the "outlines", save it in Designer as a pattern, put the pattern on Designer's board, then "Outline Pattern", group all the outlines, select your bit - carving (or cutting if you're gonna make a "sillouette"), delete the original pattern, leaving only the grouped outlines, and you have a pretty good vector pattern.

If I can do it, it can be done.

brdad
11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Neat idea, but ..... has anyone made a sled yet to get a pumpkin into the CW? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cnsranch
11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
One in every crowd.....

Pratyeka
11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
It's easier if you unwrap the pumpin skin flat, then put it on the sled.
Seriously, I'm working on a way to carve a decorated pumpkin out of wood, section by section, then assembling it into the full size 3D pumpkin.

lynnfrwd
11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Martha Stewart Living had a great vine template that I wanted to do (but didn't). I saved the free pdfs from her website; opened it with Adobe Acrobat and took a "picture" of it with the "Snapshot" tool. This put it into my clipboard, so that all I needed to do was Import File in CW Project Designer and paste from the Clipboard.

It wasn't a very high quality image, but with the drawing tools in CW I can trace the image and make it into a much cleaner carve. (FYI-I did invert it and narrow it to .125, but since I have to trace it, that doesn't really matter.)

gumbo
11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Martha Stewart Living had a great vine template that I wanted to do (but didn't). I saved the free pdfs from her website; opened it with Adobe Acrobat and took a "picture" of it with the "Snapshot" tool. This put it into my clipboard, so that all I needed to do was Import File in CW Project Designer and paste from the Clipboard.

It wasn't a very high quality image, but with the drawing tools in CW I can trace the image and make it into a much cleaner carve. (FYI-I did invert it and narrow it to .125, but since I have to trace it, that doesn't really matter.)

I would love to see what it looks like when you are done with it

lynnfrwd
11-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I haven't retraced it, yet.

(OK...first time doing an attachment..here goes...crossing my fingers and holding my mouth right...I think.)