PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector elbow

cestout
11-03-2010, 05:06 PM
The dust bag keeps getting holes in it and the duet blows thru it anyway. I have a downdraft table so I found a solution. I used a 3x3x2 ABS elbow designed for a DWV (drain, waist, vent) installation for a toilet. The 2" heel opening I plumed to replace the dust bag and the elbow is a more convenient attachment for the suction hose than the straight out one. I used a piece of coat hanger to prop the hose clear of the out-feed table.
Clint

eromran
11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Im not sure but i would think that now you have reduced the amount of suction on your table and are provideing suction where it is not really needed in the first place but i my be completely wrong. If you have plenty of air flow it may not matter im talking about smaller units.

Digitalwoodshop
11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't want to rain on anyones parade..... Any dust collection is GOOD....

Ed has a point..... I have mixed feelings about this.... On one hand I like that the fine cut motor dust has a home in the dust collector.... On the other hand..... Remember the guys on Survivor making "FIRE".... I have looked at others drawing a suction on the motor exhaust and wondered if sparks from the brushes could catch the wood inside the cut motor onfire.... With a Serious suction on the muffler, you turn the cut motor into a filter.... as wood chips would be sucked into the cut motor near the brushes. As it is now, the 2 sided cut motor fan sucks air through the vents and past the brushes and past the stator and rotor and out into the dust bag. The other part of the fan sucks air from the underside electronics area.

I am thinking that when I get my wood shop finally set up that I am going to vent the muffler outside into a sound muffling 5 gal metal bucket. The muffler as I routinely use my machine after 10 PM... My neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile away.... I can hear his router in his shop in the daytime.

Time will tell.... If anyone gets a fire we will be the first to hear about it..... Like this poor Laser Operator... Cutting Acrylic and left for some Coffee or something...

And with a down draft in the center slot we must use weather seal to keep from sucking through the power supply and computer area.

AL

dbfletcher
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Isnt some of the "backpressure" from the blower also used to direct air flow in the machine? Specifically I was thinking that air tube on the keypad side... i never really looked that close but I always figured that was from the same fan that blows in to the exhaust muffler. This is all just from my head though... I've never looked that lcose at the machine to see where the air flow is actually coming from for that tube.

Digitalwoodshop
11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I believe that the cut motor sucks air through that tube from the electronics.

Not a very good picture but the Muffler Pipe is sticking up and the right lower side of the picture shows the seal for the suction section.

AL

TIMCOSBY
11-03-2010, 09:10 PM
i read somewhere that at a trade show the factory guys had an old sock inside the bag.

fwharris
11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
i read somewhere that at a trade show the factory guys had an old sock inside the bag.

They were using it to muffle/deaden the sound of the machine. I tried it for a while but it was a bigger mess cleaning all of the dust out of the sock.

I've gone to a filter bag on the end of a hose. Does a great job on the fine dust, very little for the sound...

CarverJerry
11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
I don't know if this is a good thing or not but after my machine does it's bit plate touch off I put the hose that I have coming from the exhaust port muffler into the slot in the top of my machine, it helps keep the dust moving so my Ringneck Blues dust collector can suck it up. Sort of a hassle to do this each time but it helps keep the machine a lot cleaner.

CJ

AskBud
11-04-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't know if this is a good thing or not but after my machine does it's bit plate touch off I put the hose that I have coming from the exhaust port muffler into the slot in the top of my machine, it helps keep the dust moving so my Ringneck Blues dust collector can suck it up. Sort of a hassle to do this each time but it helps keep the machine a lot cleaner.

CJ
If you started with a "Downdraft" system like many of us in the past, consider this post on re-routing the exhaust I made quite a while ago.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14828-Dust-collection&p=124193#post124193

JMD
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM

CJ
I also do not know if this is good or not, but way couldn't you cut a hole in the back panel and put the hose in that way? Then you wouldn't have to do it after the bit touches off the plate.

CarverJerry
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Here is a picture taken quite a while ago, I see I was still using the QC then, but it shows how I use the cut motor air and put it back into the machine. I followed the link that AskBud posted here and I seen where I said I would post some pictures of my system then, but didn't for some reason. Sorry guys. But this is what I'm still using today. (Except for the QC, I Rock it now) It seems to work good as long as I'm not cutting a wide board.

CJ

CarverJerry
11-04-2010, 08:42 AM
JMD, I thought about that too, but I had a hard enough time cutting the clear cover for my vacuum adaptor. I even ordered a replacement cover just in case it didn't work out, so if anyone needs a clear cover (door) let me know.

CJ

AskBud
11-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I also do not know if this is good or not, but way couldn't you cut a hole in the back panel and put the hose in that way? Then you wouldn't have to do it after the bit touches off the plate.
My premise of reverse air flow, is to direct the air into the cutting area. I began with the same theory as jerry, but saw a better benefit of using the old downdraft as a safer/better permanent source. There is no need to ever disconnect the connection. I might add that this also greatly reduces the possible introduction of placing dust into the parts above the cutting area.
AskBud