PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor 250 Hour Tune Up Brush Set 4.

Digitalwoodshop
10-31-2010, 12:42 PM
I went a little past 250 hours on my main machine and had it fail to start the other day after a bit change.... A peek at the hours meter and I knew why.... A tap on the motor with the screwdriver handle got me started again and finished the project. To keep from snapping a $40.00 bit I knew I needed to change the brushes before today's 6 projects being cut.

I see that even with a dust collection system I still had a collection of wood chips in the bottom of the cut motor.... Everyone should pay attention to this.... Wood next to a hot Motor part.... Opening and inspecting the Cut Motor at 250 hours will be a wise thing to do. I also had a pinched Brush wire.... It actually cut thought the insulation... I was more careful as that wire is routed in the area of the spinning parts..... I tucked it down into the bottom cover as I placed the top cover on.

Remember when you remove the Stator and Armatured that as you assemble it, try rotating the shaft until everything falls in place.... It is possible to assemble it with a jammed stator and that will result in a fire..... When you get it, the Rotor will spin smooth as silk.

Since this is the 4th set of brushes on this motor, you can see the wear of the Commutator..... In my Navy Days they taught us to watch the gaps between the rotor leads or copper contacts on the commutator. There is still a Air Gap between my Commutator..... We had tools to cut the copper to re establish the gap... Mostly for Heavy Gun and Missile Drive Motors and Amplidine Generators. Most likely not something we need to worry about until 2000 hours....

I took a picture of most of the brushes I have, there are some short brushes missing from the picture...

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.....

Felt the Y Gear Box Bearing and it will need replacing soon... Need to order some...

AL

Deolman
10-31-2010, 10:29 PM
We used to make a tool for undercutting armatures out of a hacksaw blade. Then we would very carefully cut them by hand. A lot of times this became necessary after truing the armature on a lathe.