PDA

View Full Version : z axis stall error 236

terry
12-15-2006, 02:37 PM
About 75% through a project I received this message. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am basically a mental midget when it comes to computers.

cmorlier
12-15-2006, 05:20 PM
I think we know what this issue is. Please call us or send us an email with your phone number, so we can get you back up and running.

the printer
08-11-2008, 01:21 AM
did you ever get answer to the erroe 236? I had the same msg today.

fwharris
08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Terry,

I have had the same z stall error plus the y stall error the last 2 days. Did all of the steps in the trouble shooting guide for all of the Y and Z stalls and everything checked out.

Just got off the phone with the tech and they will be sending a new power supply to me.

Barry, LHR Tech, said that when I was getting both error messages it was an indication of a power supply problem. Also the screen would go blank right after the error msg was displayed.

I was lucky enough yesterday that after several attempts it did let me complete a centerline carve. Today was not so lucky. It would start the carve and stop right at the same exact spot.

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
If anyone still has the older style Z Pack with the longer cooling fins you really need to get the newer version with the 14 pin wire called the Z Bundle. That eliminates most Z Problems.

Keep your Z Belt clean, the cogs collect sawdust and jam causing the Z Stall.

AL

liquidguitars
08-13-2008, 09:44 PM
If anyone still has the older style Z Pack with the longer cooling fins you really need to get the newer version with the 14 pin wire called the Z Bundle. That eliminates most Z Problems.

Al,
Not to be a *** but I have the old Z packs that run 100%
on two carvewrights.. should I replace them?

Update.
I just installed a new Z pack and it seems to carve cleaner so it's a good fix ...

LG

mtylerfl
08-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I've got one machine with the new Z-Pak and another with the original Z-Pak - both are doing fine.

fwharris
08-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Terry,

I have had the same z stall error plus the y stall error the last 2 days. Did all of the steps in the trouble shooting guide for all of the Y and Z stalls and everything checked out.

Just got off the phone with the tech and they will be sending a new power supply to me.

Barry, LHR Tech, said that when I was getting both error messages it was an indication of a power supply problem. Also the screen would go blank right after the error msg was displayed.

I was lucky enough yesterday that after several attempts it did let me complete a centerline carve. Today was not so lucky. It would start the carve and stop right at the same exact spot.

Power supply rolled in about 2 pm today. Had it installed and restarted the carving from above by 2:30.

Ran like a champ! A little over 2 hour double sided carve. Restarted in the exact same spot and ran straight through with NO error messages.

fwharris
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Well I got the old Xstall, Zstall and LCD display goes out before I could hit the stop button errors on Saturday. I knew exactly what it was after it did the exact same thing at the same spot on the re carve. Verified all connections and checked power supply to see if I could see any thing obvious. Called LHR and re confirmed what I knew/suspected. The tech did sound surprised that it was the power supply as I just put a new one in August. He had me call back in today to check about any warranty on the power supply.

Mr. Helpbott was answering the phones today and we went through what was wrong. Like my title states, he was the tech who did my first call about the stall error msg. Well no luck on the warranty as it was over 30 days and my machine warranty ended in Sept. I did not totally expect to get any coverage but had a little ray of hope since the first tech made mention of it.

So now since it is coming up on the holiday it will be probably the first of next week before I get my power supply in. Already have the garage 3/4 cleaned up and reorganized (surprised that no one commented about that on my crappie pictures, or glad they did not!:roll:) and will get the crappie crated up for UPS, finish my trout, get them boxed up, get some litho boxes made, take the dog out for a good run and try to keep from going nucking futs until the first of next week.

:rolleyes:

Power supply rolled in about 2 pm today. Had it installed and restarted the carving from above by 2:30.

Ran like a champ! A little over 2 hour double sided carve. Restarted in the exact same spot and ran straight through with NO error messages.

liquidguitars
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I think you could have a loose power on/off switch..

turn her on her side and look at the conection, I was hearing some crackeling noise on mine..

LG

fwharris
11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
LG,

Thanks for the suggestion but I did look at it. I even disconnected the wires from the switch and jumpered it out and still had the lost power (LCD screen going blank).

I spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday afternoon trying to find anything loose. Had the machine laying on its side and wiggled and jiggled every wire, electrical components on the power supply and all of the other parts. When I would loose power on something that I touched, I would re wiggle it and nothing. Touch something else and it would come back on. Thought I had it down to a resister (either r24 or r45) on the power board as when the power would go out I could move the resister and the power would come back on. But that did not pan out as I would get the same thing with just wiggling a different wire. Even would drop out when raising or lowering the head.

My best bet is the power supply as it acts just like it did when it went out before.

Digitalwoodshop
11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
If you lay the machine on it's back, or on the muffler opening and turn the power on and the LCD lights up then it IS the power supply. The L2 coil.... Vibrated loose and broke a lead. Gravity makes it connect again.

AL

11 PM just finished doing artwork for the Carve Machine for tomorrow. Quick check of the Forum then bed.... First place I check in the morning and last at night.... Carvaholic....

Clock Out Click.

:)

fwharris
11-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Al,

That is one of the first things I checked. Your post and pictures are still fresh in my mind!! ;):-D With the machine laying on its muffler side I removed the card and looked for any component that might be loose. I would loose the LCD screen with out touching anything and touching everything. I tried it all and could not get any one thing that I did to loose the power or get it to come back on to be the one thing to be the problem.

But you are right it is probably the power supply. Just wished it was obvious enough so I could fix it.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Al,

That is one of the first things I checked. Your post and pictures are still fresh in my mind!! ;):-D With the machine laying on its muffler side I removed the card and looked for any component that might be loose. I would loose the LCD screen with out touching anything and touching everything. I tried it all and could not get any one thing that I did to loose the power or get it to come back on to be the one thing to be the problem.

But you are right it is probably the power supply. Just wished it was obvious enough so I could fix it.

Floyd, I'm going through the same issues. First I replaced the Power Supply Board, no luck in powering up. Then after a couple of conversations with Tech Support it was determined that the problem might lye within the LCD module. I'm currently in the process of replacing said module. This exercise been a excellent opportunity to further learn the inner workings of the CW. It has also allowed cleaning/lube too area's previously undiscovered.
Good Luck,
Greg

fwharris
11-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Greg,

Thanks for that info. Hoping that is not my problem but will do some looking into that just in case. What did they do to have you look at the LCD module?

I have yet to remove the end panels on my machine but it might be a good time to do so just for the extra cleaning and get a good look the rest of the machine.

liquidguitars
11-25-2008, 11:11 AM
as a side note,
if you need to replace the LCD, then i would look into Jeff's carve in the dark replacement LCD.
I have one on unit 1 and i must say its a good upgrade.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
If it is a power supply problem then it could be the L2 in the power supply. Here is a picture of what to look for.

AL

fwharris
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Al,

Read my comments in #13..

LG,

You know I was just thinking about that, must be some ESP going!

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Al,

Read my comments in #13..

Good Job !!! The photos are for the pleasure of the new viewers.

Some things to also look at is the on off switch, they have been known to go bad.

The plugs on the power supply should be good if you removed the power supply to look at it.

Since the display will only give you black squares with the card missing and the intensity adjusted correctly it could be the computer. Without a working computer you will not get any signs of life... SO after the display, power supply and on off switch then look at the computer.

Looks like you have a handle on the problem. Let us know when it is fixed.

AL

fwharris
11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Al,

We can never have to many photos and yours are some of the best. They sure have made it easy for me to understand/learn the CW parts.

I did eliminate the power switch with jumpers and still had the same problems. I will do some more looking today, fresh un-frustrated eyes might see something different.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and I will make sure that I update everyone on the results.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I would unplug and plug all the plugs on the X termination board, Power Supply and Computer. Could just be a plug vibrated loose.

Take a close look at the pins on the computer, a chunk of wood dust could have jammed in and bent pins over.

AL

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
11-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Hello everyone my name is Greg and I'm a Carvaholic. It's been a long couple of weeks. First of all I've been a extremely happy owner of this marvelous CW machine for approximately 18 months. During this period I've produced some incredible carvings, along with my share of crapola. For the most part I've been able to work my through most of my problems. The frustration began a couple of weeks ago when for still unknown reasons my baby stopped working at the start of a carve. I followed my usual routine of removing and checking my project board for any obvious problems, none were found. After cleaning my machine again I reloaded the board again and restarted the project. Paying more attention this time around the CW started as it had numerous times before, requesting data and providing instructions. The project again started as usual, but when it reached the same location as the previous failure it stopped again, this time I was able to see a stall code 236 or 238 before the LCD went blank. After consulting Tech Support it was decided that the most likely culprit was the Power Supply Board. After ordering, receiving, and installing the new PSB, I again attempted to power up my machine without luck. After again consulting Tech Support it was decided that the LCD module was probably faulty. Again, after ordering, receiving, and installing the new LCD module I again powered up, and to my delight my machine came to life. I installed the previous project and went through the normal start up routine. I can't tell you how happy I was at that moment. That moment was short lived, again my CW stalled at the very location as it had the two previous occasions. Again no LCD read out. Here's where my frustration and anxiety set in. I almost exclusively do projects for family, friends and charity events. Recently I committed to do a Christmas project for my local Law Enforcement Agency. With Christmas quickly approaching I have little confidence in living up to that commitment. Can anyone be of assistance in resolving my operational issues?

jcorder
11-26-2008, 06:13 AM
check the wiring along the top of the ztruck. Be sure it is tight and that it does not have a strain when it gets to that one particular spot and is pulling something loose. Also look for a broken wire that is making contact until you get to that point and it is putting stain on it and separating it. Not sure if that will help, but I hope so.

Good luck
Jeff

supershingler
11-26-2008, 07:14 AM
just another idea but if your stopping in the same spot everytime
i would try erasing everything on your memory card and reformating it and redownload it and try it again. i had a rosette project that i was doing and my machine started doing goofy things and this is what worked for me

good luck

kendall

mtylerfl
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
...Can anyone be of assistance in resolving my operational issues?

I am very sorry to hear you are having problems. The best source for assistance in resolving the issue is to communicate directly with the CarveWright Tech Support team.

I'm sure they will do everything they can to get you back on track as soon as possible. Give 'em another call and explain what's happened.

fwharris
11-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Spangler,

Sorry to hear that the new LCD did not fix your problem. I feel your frustration. Hope I do not go through the same thing after I get my new power supply. Double check all of your connections (you probably already have) and give LHR another call and keep us updated

HelpBot3000
11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Mr. Shopbott was answering the phones today and we went through what was wrong. Like my title states, he was the tech who did my first call about the stall error msg.

Hey there mister! No Shopbots on this phone line. :) Glad I could be of help. Greg, one way to know if you are getting power to the machine even though the LCD is bad is to move the Y and Z trucks by hand with the power "off" and feel the resistance, then turn it to the "on" position and see if there is a difference. The resistance should be higher on both axis-es (axis? axises? axii? whatever the plural is there). If it is the same then the power supply is a good place to start checking. If the resistance IS higher then I would start elsewhere first, such as the LCD, connection cables, controller, etc. As always if you need further help give us a call and I personally would be more than happy to assist.

fwharris
11-26-2008, 11:15 AM
OOPPPSSS!:p

I knew it was something bot.. I corrected prior post

SteveNelson46
11-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I share your frustration as I'm having exactly the same problem! To add pain to the misery I can't even get Carvewright to respond. I called them last Saturday and we went through all of the diagnostics and trouble shooting steps with no positive results. They were supposed to call me back the following Monday. THEY DIDN'T! I waited until Wednesday. They still did not call me back so I called them. I couldn't get through so I left them another message. Today is Friday and they still haven't called me. I tried calling them again this morning. I waited over an hour on hold, finally gave up and left them another message. I can't even get through to their sales dept. Again long hold times.
In my opinion, any company can sell a fairly good machine but, if the can't support it in a timely fasion it becomes expensive junk and the whole process borderlines on just being a scam.
My frustration comes after at least 30 to 40 calls to LHR with various problems to numerous to list here. I have even sent the whole machine back to them once. When I got it back, half of the screws and parts they supposedly fixed were either missing or not installed properly.

Steve Nelson
Systems Analyst
University of Arizona, Tucson

Jeff_Birt
11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Steve, it REALLY helps if you check the holiday hours of operation before wasting all your time being upset. CW posted this a few days ago in the announcements section: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9388, and it's also right on the very first page of the main website: http://www.carvewright.com/. So, if you look you obviously won't get through today.

I am at a loss however to explain your seeming trouble to get in touch with LHR, I've found them very easy to get in touch with. Very rarely am I even on hold for very long. As you know it helps to time your call when they actually have staff available and when they have the least call load to handle. They do have their hours of operation posted so you can plan your call. I have found calling within the first hour of them opening is the best, and around lunch time or the end of the day the worst. YMMV.

mtylerfl
11-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Steve,

I agree that it is very unusual not to get a call-back, and/or to be kept on hold for an extended period of time. Definitely not the norm. (Except when they are closed for a Holiday, like yesterday and today, of course.;))

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your machine. I am sure the Tech Support team will be able to get you fixed up just fine, but I realize that doesn't necessarily ease your frustration at the moment.

My only possible concern is when you call tomorrow, you might indeed have a longer wait time than usual. Only because they have been closed for 2 days and everyone who has been waiting for Saturday to come around will be probably be calling tomorrow, too! I'm sure the Techs on duty will do their very best to handle everyone's call in as timely a manner as possible.

All the Best...

fwharris
11-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Steve,

Playing phone tag is never any fun and can be very frustrating when you are expecting a call back. I was suppose to get a call last Monday around noon also and when I did not get the call back I called them that afternoon. Mr. Helpbot took my call and said they had been real busy with calls all day. Mondays are probably the worst day to call.

Some times when I try calling in the number or operators are busy so I try a different number and will usually go right through.

Here are the numbers I have saved:
1-713-473-6572
1-800-573-1226
1-713-473-6545

liquidguitars
11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Again no LCD read out. Here's where my frustration and anxiety set in. I almost exclusively do projects for family, friends and charity events. Recently I committed to do a Christmas project for my local Law Enforcement Agency. With Christmas quickly approaching I have little confidence in living up to that commitment. Can anyone be of assistance in resolving my operational issues?

if you project dies at the same spot at the same time it could be your project. try a format of the smart card and change your project removing anything the is not needed to fix this error.

With Christmas quickly approaching I have little confidence in living up to that commitment.

the only way to over come this is to have every base covered. Any crack in a production system will ruin you as a pro...

LG

fwharris
12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
UPS rolled up around 1:30 pm with the new power supply. Hooked it up and turned on the CW and LCD powered up and stayed on. Flipped the machine right side up, put in my centerline text carve that was in process when it went down and every thing ran smooth as a babies bottom. Carved right over what was done and finished the rest of it.

When I return the bad power supply I will include a note to see if they can email me back with what was wrong.

All is happy in Ringneck land. Now will try to make up for lost time.

HelpBot3000
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Hey! I knew they kept me around for something. As for the gentleman earlier who was having a difficult time getting through, Mondays have been, are, and probably always will be the worst days to try and get through. I don't think there is ever more than 30 seconds between the end of one call and the phone ringing again. Its an all day thing and its because we are catching up with all the calls over the weekend as well as Monday's issue too. But, if you are still having an issue with your machine give us a call. We would be glad to help you out, that's what we're here for. As a matter of fact, as long as I'm not already on another call I'll be happy to help you out myself. Just call carvewright, press the option for hardware support and ask for Barry, that's me. I apologize that you have had this amount of difficulty getting through but believe me it wasn't intentional in any way. Also remember, you already found one of the best resources anywhere on the operation and maintenance of the machine, THIS FORUM! So, whenever you have a moment, provided its within operating hours, give us a call and we'll be more than happy to help out.