PDA

View Full Version : Layout tool bar, Pierced

luckettg
10-31-2010, 11:32 AM
I am using Project Designer ver.1.171.
In the Layout tool bar, to the left of the Depth, is a check box labeled Pierced. I cannot find anything in the software manual, nor by searching on the forums. What is this option for?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett
Michigan

earlyrider
10-31-2010, 12:02 PM
It brings your pattern to the bottom of the board. Useful in making appliques. You may need to add some lines (attachments).
Ron

luckettg
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Ron,
It has been a while since I have done that sort of thing. When I did it before, the software would leave the number of tabs that I selected, 3 or 4 being the minimum. It worked well until one of those software updates a few years ago, then it worked only erratically, so I quit using it. It looks like it might be time to take another shot at it. I wish the software manual was up to date. I guess I should try searching the forums for some examples.
Thanks for the help,
Greg.

mtylerfl
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Hello Greg,

Just some gentle correction here...

The Pierced function has never created automatic tabs in any version of the software...it's not supposed to. The Pierced function requires the user to create their own tabs and place them manually wherever they wish. The following Tips & Tricks describes the process step-by-step (with illustrations) ISSUE 23 August 2009 – Custom Tabs for Full-Depth Cut Outs (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug09.pdf)

Only the Cut Path Tool creates tabs automatically...has always been that way, in all versions of the software.

Hope this is helpful for you.

luckettg
10-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Michael, who said the Pierced function created automatic tabs? Without any documentation for the Pierced option, I have no idea what it does. I have been using my CarveWright for about 4 years? Maybe longer. I have had this machine since shortly after CarveWright began selling them. This is the first time I noticed the Pierced check box, and just wondered what it did. Thank for that link. I will study it later for sure.

To cut all the way through the board, I just set the cut depth and how deep desired per pass (that use to be automatic in earlier versions) and the number of tabs (that also was automatic in earlier versions). I made a number of carvings about 3 years ago this way. When the software was updated along about the time I was into my 20th carving, the tab settings went screwy. Now I only carve what the machine is good at and do the rest of the cuttings on my band saw and router table.
Greg.

mtylerfl
10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi Greg,

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post. I somehow got the impression you thought the Pierced function created the tabs.

As far as using the Cut Path tool, it will set the cut depth automatically, using the board thickness as its reference, and as you know, will create the tabs automatically...you may also know that since version 1.131 of the software, you have the ability to set Max Pass of the bit, as well as the minimum number, frequency per foot, and height of these auto-tabs. In case you would like a quick refresher on those features, here is a link to another Tips & Tricks that helps to explain those settings:

ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

Again, I apologize for my initial misunderstanding in your previous post. Hope this additional link is helpful. My experience is that both my CarveWright machines perform cutouts beautifully, but I do understand if you prefer to use other tools to do the cutouts instead. A bandsaw is an excellent alternative and is quicker too.

luckettg
10-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Michael,
I appreciate your help, thank you.
I just looked up the date of purchase for my CarveWright. It was sometime in October or early Nov 07, so not 4 or more years ago......my memory is not what it use to be.;):)

I usually just make signs anymore with my CW, but have made custom furniture using it too. I have found that I can increase production if I use the band saw and routers, and at the same time it decreases the loss of an entire project when the CW fails. I often tweak the carvings out of the CW by hand carving to clean up some of the problem areas.
:)
Thanks again,
Greg.