PDA

View Full Version : Keeps asking for same bit

pffester
10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I started a project that i've made before... this time I built a sled so I could save a little wood. its 28 7/16 long, 11.5 wide with filler pieces.
the machine goes thru the routine, measures, homes... then asks for the same bit thats already there. select it again, measures, homes, asks for the bit again, and again.

tried changing thickness of board to 1 1/2 actual, removed cut paths... no joy

any suggestions? thanks

dbfletcher
10-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Make sure the bit flag/plate is coming all the way out and the bit is successfully touching it. If it doesn't hit the plate right, it will just keep asking for the same bit over and over. Many of u have just put a small piece of foam behind the bit plate to to always keep it extended. As long as your project are always less that 14" wide, this inst a problem.

mtylerfl
10-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Hello,

Observe whether your bit plate swing-out arm is coming out all the way when the truck travels there. If the bit doesn't "touch-down" on the swing out arm, then you'll get the repeated loop of asking for a bit.

EDIT: Doug was a few seconds faster than I was...yep, that's the first thing to check. Good job, Doug!

robbrigg2
10-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I agree, and also if you are using a Rock chuck you need to ensure the bit is properly installed and not to high or low because if it is you get the same results (actually if it is too low you will get an error 303 when it touches the wood.

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes, this is classic.... Bit missed touching the bit plate.... When the bit does not touch the bit plate because the plate is not extended and the Z Bottoms Out... That tells the computer... No Bit Installed.....

Most likely the Y is stopping Short and the Bit Plate is not extending enough.... The wires from the Right Cover Switch to the Cut Motor are the cause 90% of the time..... The Wires need to be in the Sweet Spot in the back of the Cover.. If not, the fins of the Z Motor hit it.... The other 10% it is the Bit Plate needing lubrication.

Good Luck,

AL

kool69sporty
10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
PF, I had this happen when the top of my carve block was below the sides of the sled, but you did say you changed the thickness to actual. Just a thought since you said you are now using a sled. Joe