PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Guide Problem - HELP

carlbeck
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
carl@carlbeck.com395973959639595I am getting the disply "Please set Guid Bar". The picture show the Display, Where the machine stoped, and a picture of my sled with the 7.25" x 12 x 0.75" board mounted. I used the same sled, with the same size board and a different mpc and it worked fine. 39598 I think that tells me I have something wrong with the mpc but I don't know what it is. Can anyone give me guidance? I have made several designs since I got the CW 2 months ago and really like the results So what am I doig wrong here?

mtylerfl
10-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello Carl,

The blank area at the right side of the board...have you tried covering that with masking tape or fill it in with a wood strip? Perhaps the blank space is confusing the machine. Let us know if filling in the blank space makes the problem go away!

liquidguitars
10-30-2010, 01:38 PM
you could try to load the sled "off center" so your back roller compresses on the sleds 4" tails end. Now the board sensor will not get confused with the blank space of your stock and no tape is needed to cover up the gap.

carlbeck
10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I tried that and the carving started on the strip I added. I stopped it before it started in the board because I was afraid it would break the bit. PLUS. As I stated in my question: I used the same sled, same sise board, different mpc and it worked fine.

liquidguitars
10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
the carving started on the strip I added

This is layout issue. When using a sled it's best to include the sleds overall dimensions in Designer as your project board, if not you will thrash the bit and machine at some point.

mtylerfl
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
It looks like he did include the sled dimension length but not the sled width.

Carl,
I agree with LG - a layout problem. Make your layout the same size as your sled, position your Last Supper pattern exactly in the position where it will be on your board in your sled, and fill in your blank area...or position the sled off center (lengthwise) so that only the full width of your sled is visible to the CW board sensor when it is measuring the width (i.e., so the "blank" area doesn't interfere with the measuring routine). That should cover all your bases and get you going alright.

carlbeck
10-30-2010, 02:35 PM
While all this is going on, I redesigned the mpc. I did everything as before just started over. When uploading: before it said it would take 1 hr 13 min, This time it said 53 min. That sounds strange since it is the same sise, same depth and everything. I plugged it into the CW and this time it is working. I was reading that the new spftware may have some bugs. Do you think this might be the problem. I will repost when the carving is done an let you know how it came out.

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2010, 10:17 PM
My thinking is much different than everyone else..... I believe that when you ran the project you have a CUT PATH on the Project and that you selected BOARD not PROJECT when setting up the board in the machine.....

My belief is that the ONLY time the machine cares about the Right Side Guide is when there is a CUT PATH THROUGH the board. And the Bit will touch the flat area just to the Right of the U shaped Slot. Touching this metal right side guide establishes the bottom of the board to the machine....

So the only reason the machine would be interested in the bottom of the board is that you told it to CUT Through the SLED.... Not your intended desire....

I believe you selected BOARD not PROJECT.... "Project" would be the thickness of the BOARD ON THE SLED..... It will trust you and use the Board Thickness in Designer for a PROJECT Cut Path.....

It's 11 PM and quitting time.... It has been a long day..... I could be OFF in left field.... Yes, that blank space of wood DID trick the machine.... As the board width was measured, the drop off of the board on the sled, could result in the machine thinking that the physical edge of the board is the total width.... The Sled Extending another 3/4 inch puts the Right Side Plate too far away.... But I don't believe the computer should care about the Bit Plate while doing a SLED...

A CSI Investigation and carefully noting the setup of a identical project with the same blank space.... Paging ASK BUD....

AL

mtylerfl
10-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi AL,

His MPC didn't have any Cut Path on it, but I liked your theory anyway!

carlbeck
10-31-2010, 07:46 AM
39610After redoing the design and making a new ,mpc, it worked fine and attached is the result. In my original post, I uploaded the original .mpc. Can anyone do a CSI on that and find something? The one fact that the upload of the original .mpc shoed a carve time of 1 hr 13 min. and the one that worked only showed 53 min, could indicate that somehow the software had a cut path that didn't show up.

RMarkey
11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
There is a known problem with jigged boards (total depth exceeding 1.5") and the CT spindle in version 1.175. If a depth measurement is required, the CT may not hit the keypad side of the jig early, which would typically trigger a "board too thick" indication to the machine. Instead the Z truck bottoms out and confuses the machine's search for the sliding plate. This will be addressed in the next release. There isn't a great workaround, except that if you encounter the error, eliminate any drill-thru, cut-thru, or cut-to-size operations which require a depth measurement.